• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black jeans

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who wears black jeans? I know that until very recently, I would never even have considered it. However, I'm now looking at some RB6b from Rag and Bone, and thinking that they might make a great alternative to the dress pants I would have once worn when going out. Now that jeans have replaced dress pants for so many things (restaurants, the theater, clubs, etc.), it seems that I might want to find one pair that is as dressy as possible. And I like that sort of shiny look the RBs have (as opposed to the flat black that I'd get from gap, for example). I'd probably be wearing them with solid color tops, in pretty dark colors. Think dark gray t-shirts, very fitted v-neck sweaters, solid color dress shirts, and mostly with a blazer, also in a dark color. For that kind of wear, would you think that's a good way to go, or stick to indigo?

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i wear 45rpm black sulfur overwashed jeans. after breaking them in a bit they start to have a shin that's hard to describe. you can wear them dressed down or up. i wear almost exclusively dark colors- works very well.

jpgm

Reaction score
i have the RB6 in black - they are beautiful, and definitely could work the way you intend them to. personally though, i prefer to dress up slimmer jeans. also, the RB6 denim is quite streaky, not something i would generally dress up. its a matter of preference.

they are great jeans though.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
45rpm jomon's would dress up well- the indigo is really really deep and they're slim.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Helmut Lang in black. I usually wear mine with a white button down shirt. Although they're not worn as often as the other ones, something would be missing if I didn't have them in my denim wardrobe.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpgm
i have the RB6 in black - they are beautiful, and definitely could work the way you intend them to. personally though, i prefer to dress up slimmer jeans. also, the RB6 denim is quite streaky, not something i would generally dress up. its a matter of preference.

they are great jeans though.

They are plenty fitted on my runner's thighs, lol. It was actually the streaky shine that I love so much about my RB6a, and that I think would make the b a good dress jean. However, I might still see if I can find the s model somewhere.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered RB6.b myself .. I plan to use it for casual wear - you can dress up anything you want as long as you have the attitude and the coordination.
teacha.gif

xcoldricex

Reaction score
oh yeah, helmut lang did some cool "waxed" black denim awhile back. i had a pair, i'm not sure what happened to them. maybe i still have them somewhere...

jpgm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
They are plenty fitted on my runner's thighs, lol. It was actually the streaky shine that I love so much about my RB6a, and that I think would make the b a good dress jean. However, I might still see if I can find the s model somewhere.

i have the legs of a malnourished chicken, so the RB6 are a long way from slim on me
lookaround.gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP

Denim Bar has the selvage - I just exchanged them for some black ones as I just purchased some Baggy Bjorns as well and did not need two pair of blue dry denim simultaneously.. my next jeans purchase (in a year and half) will be a more fitted indigo.. perhaps R&B will have come out with some other model by then.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
i have a pair of dior eternal 811s in the vintage black indigo wash,it's a head turner and they always asking me where i got it...so far it has a better fit and look than any other pair i have

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Denim Bar has the selvage - I just exchanged them for some black ones as I just purchased some Baggy Bjorns as well and did not need two pair of blue dry denim simultaneously.. my next jeans purchase (in a year and half) will be a more fitted indigo.. perhaps R&B will have come out with some other model by then.

How did the selvage ones fit compared to the b's? I am thinking of ordering them, but want to make sure that I'd be the same size in all RB6. Any difference in initial stretching or fit in the waist/length?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads