• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black jeans

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I own two, a pair of Acne jeans and a pair of levi 514 (see an older thread on black jeans where getsmart posted pictures of those, they look really good and are pretty cheap). I personnally only like slim fitted black jeans, anything baggier looks out of place in that color IMHO.

gza

Reaction score
I've got one pair from John Varvatos that isn't overdyed (only the warp is black). They've got a very regular ralfish fit (moderate rise, neither slim nor loose, slight bootcut), which makes them relatively versatile for a pair of black jeans. Like Darknworn, I think a white button-front complements them well - I've got one from Margiela with black buttons that looks particularly good with black denim. I still don't find myself wearing them much, though. I had high hopes early on that they would fade like a pair of indigo jeans (they are raw, after all), but unfortunately the dye is colorfast. So I'd say they play just a niche role in my wardrobe.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess the thing I'm still wondering most is whether black is really back with regards to denim. I feel like I am seeing more and more of it in stores, but not that much more on people. I know that the dark indigo craze is starting to really hit, did black truly come with it, and would a pair of black jeans be a sound investment, or for maximum usability is dark indigo still a better bet?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a grown ass man - if I want to wear black jeans, I'll wear black jeans.
wink.gif

In regards to fit, I dunno, I ordered the RB6.b fit unseen because I knew I wouldn't want to keep the RB6.s but you can only exchange there.. and I just purchased a couple pairs prior to those that were not dry and wanted 2 pairs of dry.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my next pair of jeans will be a black pair, have my eye on these :

regular_ralf-black_pocket_stitch.jpg

Regular Ralf Black Pocket Stitch

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So I guess the thing I'm still wondering most is whether black is really back with regards to denim. I feel like I am seeing more and more of it in stores, but not that much more on people. I know that the dark indigo craze is starting to really hit, did black truly come with it, and would a pair of black jeans be a sound investment, or for maximum usability is dark indigo still a better bet?
as long as their not stonewashed
laugh.gif

keal

Reaction score
I bought a throwaway pair of Calvin Klein overdye last year - but kept it as it's dark enough to replace my dress pants when I have a feeling I might be drinking more than usual and could spill food and drink.

I think if the jeans are overdyed, they're good for dressing up. If they're faded, then break out the cotton t-shirts and sneakers to go with it
smile.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP

Black jeans have a lot of baggage and a lot of attitude. Wear them; don't let them wear you!
wink.gif

The "return" of black denim (which I am not convinced of, as a trend) is IMO not related to the raw/dark indigo trend (which is definitely penetrating the wider market.)

jpgm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by keal
I bought a throwaway pair of Calvin Klein overdye last year - but kept it as it's dark enough to replace my dress pants when I have a feeling I might be drinking more than usual and could spill food and drink.

I think if the jeans are overdyed, they're good for dressing up. If they're faded, then break out the cotton t-shirts and sneakers to go with it
smile.gif

the overdyed black APC new standards are delightful
inlove.gif

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
black jeans are punk rock.

$200 black jeans are not.

blush.gif
lookaround.gif

keal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpgm
the overdyed black APC new standards are delightful
inlove.gif

I think I'll add that to my Christmas wish list
smile.gif

xcoldricex

Reaction score
yeah since when is punk about being cheap anyway. they're fashion whores too.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Punk=$700 sunglasses, $50 jeans, $10 hooker, free drugs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads