• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black is for waiter

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
I was at a Brooks branch yesterday, talking to the manager about some of my experiences with Ernest. I got around to the fact that he invented the forum's informal motto, "Brown is for Farmer," (why don't we get some t-shirts printed up with that phrase printed on them). He thought that was pretty funny and said that it reminded him of a story told by his father, the original manager of the first Brooks in Atlanta. His father had a good customer who always bought brown shoes to wear with his navy and grey suits. When his father questioned the propriety of doing that and asked why he never wore black ones, the man responded: "black shoes are for waiters."
BLACK IS FOR WAITER.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
HEAR, HEAR.

alchimiste

Reaction score
There is a huge difference between "black shoes are for waiters" and "black is for waiters".

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between "black shoes are for waiters" and "black is for waiters".
Close enough.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Ethics and honesty are like black suits, you never use them during the day.
sneaky2.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Must we constantly come back to only two topics on the forum? Have we lost all originality when Black and the One Who's Name I Shant Repeat are the only topics of interest left on the forum? Enough is ENOUGH. Jon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
C'mon, guys.  Whatever you think of black suits (or shoes), Mr. Pollock's anecdote is both amusing and relevant to the discussions we've had here.  Give him a little credit.  And (dare I say?) lighten up.  This is not another debate thread (unless someone else turns it into one; it won't be me).  It's just a funny story.  Which I for one enjoyed.  Thanks, Ken.

Buster

Reaction score
Is it possible to BAN a topic? j, please.
( the story is funny, the rest of the thread, or where it seems to go, well...)

B

Kaga

Reaction score
deleted

tgfny

Reaction score
I had a pair of black pants that I bought out at the RL employee store in NJ. Never wore them once, because when I tried them on I felt I looked like a waiter. Was the only piece of black outside of soes and belts that has ever crept into my wardrobe.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C'mon, guys.  Whatever you think of black suits (or shoes), Mr. Pollock's anecdote is both amusing and relevant to the discussions we've had here.  Give him a little credit.  And (dare I say?) lighten up.  This is not another debate thread (unless someone else turns it into one; it won't be me).  It's just a funny story.  Which I for one enjoyed.  Thanks, Ken.
Really? I challenge you on that sir. *arf arf arf arf.*

Seriously, could someone explain to me -- or provide a good link -- what the hell "brown is for farmer" means? I come around often enough that I suppose I ought to be up on this by now. Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and I second the idea of the T-shirts...or a tie? (Oh, wait....)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ernest is a member who lives in France.  Like George Costanza, he is unemployed and lives with his parents.  He has also been on the dole for something like two years.  Yet thanks to the generosity of French unemployment benefits, he can afford to shop at Hilditch & Key and other fine Paris establishments with some regularity. That is neither here nor there, just background.

Anyway, Ernest is arguably more hidebound and opinionated than even I am.  Once, another member asked for opinions about a brown suit.  (Actually, I think this took place on Ask Andy, not here, but I could be wrong.)  Ernest denounced the wearing of brown suits.  In the back and forth that ensued, his trump card was that "brown is for farmer."  By which I suppose he meant, "Only farmers should wear brown."

Does that square with everyone else's recollection?

aybojs

Reaction score
Ernest is a member who lives in France. Like George Costanza, he is unemployed and lives with his parents. He has also been on the dole for something like two years. Yet thanks to the generosity of French unemployment benefits, he can afford to shop at Hilditch & Key and other fine Paris establishments with some regularity. That is neither here nor there, just background. Anyway, Ernest is arguably more hidebound and opinionated than even I am. Once, another member asked for opinions about a brown suit. (Actually, I think this took place on Ask Andy, not here, but I could be wrong.) Ernest denounced the wearing of brown suits. In the back and forth that ensued, his trump card was that "brown is for farmer." By which I suppose he meant, "Only farmers should wear brown." Does that square with everyone else's recollection?
You forgot the part where everyone on the board took his catchphrase and, over the next few months and to this date, thoroughly ran it into the ground
dozingoff.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads