1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black is black

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greg, Jul 11, 2002.

1. greg

greg Active Member

I just bought a nice black cotton shirt from Club Monaco that can be dressed down and up. I intend to wear it a lot to justify the px. Short of having it dry-cleaned everytime I use it, is there another way I can keep it from fading when I wash it? I remember an old Oprah episode that letting it sit in a solution of vinegar and water makes the color more vivid and less liable to fade. True? Any ideas would be so appreciated.

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior Member

To minimize fading, you can wash it in cold water with Woolite Dark, their new formulation for dark/black clothing, and hang to dry (out of direct sunlight) rather than using a dryer. A gentle cycle would probably also help prevent premature fading. Of course, washing all your black garments together makes sense, too.

3. Sylph

Sylph Member

I have found the vinegar dye-fixing trick to work well when I dye things, not sure how useful it would be on newly purchased things. A more useful trick for me is to re-dye black things in my wash machine (with vinegar, a cup a load) if they fade on me. Follow the directions on the dye package.

Of course this is only for things that can survive machine wash.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

4. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

I have heard the use of black tea will also keep the colours deep