• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black gucci loafer

gregory

Reaction score
Hello I'm interested to purchase a black loafer with the silver links (or whatever you call that). I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives to the classic Gucci. Also, which one is the classic Gucci model? Thanks.
smile.gif

Kaga

Reaction score
Hello I'm interested to purchase a black loafer with the silver links (or whatever you call that). I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives to the classic Gucci. Also, which one is the classic Gucci model? Thanks.
smile.gif
Gregory-san: Many people feel that the only thing naffer than a Gucci loafer (except for the old vintage style, preferably real vintage) is a knockoff Gucci loafer. You can find them anywhere. Most major shoemakers make some version, all the way up to Berluti and Edward Green.

gregory

Reaction score
Kaga,

I appreciate your point of view (I don't know what 'naffer' means but I don't think it's something positive), and I used to think like that, but I am tired of not buying things that I like just because of people's perceptions. For example, I like the black loafers and Lacoste/Polo Ralph Lauren polo shirts and wearing extreme spread collared shirts with button cuffs and it would be a shame to be denied these pleasures just because of others' perceptions of them.

I don't think it's fair that people look down on knockoffs. It's easy to shun these when you are wealthy enough but not everyone has that capacity and many still want to dress fairly well.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(gregory @ 19 Oct. 2004, 10:17) Hello I'm interested to purchase a black loafer with the silver links (or whatever you call that). I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives to the classic Gucci. Also, which one is the classic Gucci model? Thanks.
smile.gif

Gregory-san: Many people feel that the only thing naffer than a Gucci loafer (except for the old vintage style, preferably real vintage) is a knockoff Gucci loafer. You can find them anywhere. Most major shoemakers make some version, all the way up to Berluti and Edward Green.
LOL. Don't know if that's true, but thought that was pretty funny. Gregory, Kaga is right. They are pretty easy to find. Less expensive alternatives to the Gucci bit loafer include ferragamo and kenneth cole.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo has a similar loafer. They are about 60-70% the price of the Gucci ones.

I don't think it's fair that people look down on knockoffs. It's easy to shun these when you are wealthy enough but not everyone has that capacity and many still want to dress fairly well.

A real Timex is better than a fake Rolex. I don't particularly like Rolexes, but this is a good rule to dress by.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo's widely available bit loafers have moved from being unfortunately blunt to more chiseled recently:
140559.jpg
These are really too chiseled and square in the front for my taste (they're narrow, and square in the toe in person), but they offer a range of alternatives, and the only thing they really have in common is the bit. These are at Nordstrom for $375, which is pricey, IMO, for what you're getting. Alternatively, Ferragamo Studio is less expensive. Like these on Yoox, for $200:
is8.jpg
I picked up a pair like this maybe two years ago (less?), and find that I almost never wear them. They just don't look good with anything I own. Shoulda flipped em. Hope I'm not stating the obvious... Dammit, LA Guy, beat me to the punch. Or something.

gregory

Reaction score
A real Timex is better than a fake Rolex.  I don't particularly like Rolexes, but this is a good rule to dress by.
I don't think this comparison is suitable. A fake Rolex does not only copy the style of the Rolex but wishes to pass off itself as the genuine article, much like LV handbags.

I'm asking for something that looks like a Gucci loafer, not an unauthorized imitation of a Gucci loafer, just like I could ask for a shirt that has a Brooks-Brothers button-down collar, or a polo shirt from any brand that looks like the original Lacoste.

gregory

Reaction score
How is Ferragamo cheaper than Gucci? Neimanmarcus.com is giving me $395 for a Gucci horsebit compared to $390 for a Ferragamo. Is this the classic Gucci?
S3M3829_mn.jpg
Ferragamo
S4M4951_mh.jpg
Another Ferragamo-Nice but won't withstand the daily use for me:
S4M4957_mn.jpg

gregory

Reaction score
The driving shoes look nice, but I purchased a pair and are really not conformable for long-term use. You can REALLY feel the multiple rubber soles and the gaps between them.

Jon.
They look terrific. Thanks for sharing your experience. Suddenly they don't look that terrific anymore.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
How is Ferragamo cheaper than Gucci? Neimanmarcus.com is giving me $395 for a Gucci horsebit compared to $390 for a Ferragamo.
Hey, don't knock a $5.00 savings.  It'll pay for your first shine...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, multiple options from Ferragamo, some are bound to be on sale. Likewise though, some Guccis are bound to be on sale somewhere. For Ferragamos, try Nordstrom Rack, that's where I got my studios for $65.00, seen an odd pair here and there since. They don't all look like the classic gucci though. I know it's what you're looking for, so I'm not knocking it, but the "classic" gucci is so moccasin-ish I have it permanently associated with old eyetalian guys. Nothing against them, they just aren't me. The worst is the black, pebbled leather with the gold bit Â
cry.gif

Kaga

Reaction score
Gregory-san:
Do not feel too bad about my jibes. After all, as an eccentric reclusive milliardaire, I dress as if I shopped at Liberace's estate sale. Gucci is selling an updated version of its vintage loafer -- it's very sleek and may even have a bevelled waist, which is to say it doesn't look like a Bass Weejun with braces. This updated vintage loafer is very nice. If my memory serves me correctly, the emporium known as  Saks Fith Avenue sells it, but not on their website.

PS: If my memory serves me correctly, these are also known as "snaffle loafers."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snaffle refers to the piece. That particular design is known as a snaffle bit from Gucci's equestrian heritage, and is an icon of the label.

The Ferragamo one is called the Gancini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads