• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Grenadine Tie

Sator Sartoris

Reaction score
I've read the previous post and contacted Ben Silver who informed me that they no longer carry black grenadines.

Does anyone know of a place that has them reasonably priced?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator Sartoris
I've read the previous post and contacted Ben Silver who informed me that they no longer carry black grenadines.

Does anyone know of a place that has them reasonably priced?

Try Paul Staurt and Brooks Brothers.

bch

Reaction score
Try J Press; it's where I got mine. They are not listed on their website (or at least I couldn't find it), but maybe you can order by phone if they have them.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black grenadine from T&A. I'm thinking of trying Udeshi.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for any of you knowledgeable guys who've posted on this thread: Is a grenadine tie made with something other than silk inside the "shell"? I'm taking this from Udeshi's website, where he notes that the ties are "100% silk outer shell." I don't own a grenadine, but had always thought that they were just a heavy sort of homogenous silk weave producing a lot of texture. Udeshi's description seems to suggest that they have something else inside (perhaps like a wool lining?) Another question: Do you see grenadines with patterns (like stripes, foulard pattern, etc.) or are they always solid?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience a Grenadine tie is always pure silk and honeycombed in texture. It is either one color like black or a mix of two colors which usually gives it an iridescent quality.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Is a grenadine tie made with something other than silk inside the "shell"? I'm taking this from Udeshi's website, where he notes that the ties are "100% silk outer shell." Udeshi's description seems to suggest that they have something else inside (perhaps like a wool lining?)

Most ties have an interlining made of various materials(wool is good) and weights(used to control the thickness of the tie).

To give you an idea of basic tie construction(courtesy of Mr. Hober).

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...keANECKTIE.htm

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Grenadines look like knits, but they are in reality woven thus the construction is like a traditional tie with interlining and tipping. The construction you are imagining is what you will find in a true knit tie.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Grenadines look like knits, but they are in reality woven thus the construction is like a traditional tie with interlining and tipping. The construction you are imagining is what you will find in a true knit tie.
Oh, is that right? That's interesting. So with a grenadine, you have a silk shell as with a regular woven (but smooth) tie and an interlining of wool as with a standard tie--the only difference being that the shell is a good deal heavier (and honeycombed as noted by aportnoy). I had thought of them as akin to a knit tie, as you suggest. Tomasso, thanks for the link from David Hober. I had actually seen that--it's really good isn't it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Tomasso, thanks for the link from David Hober. I had actually seen that--it's really good isn't it.

Absolutely, Roger. After reading Davids treatise, I almost think that I can make my own tie, NOT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads