• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Friday in Chicago

Young Pro

Reaction score
My wife and I will be heading out to do some shopping this coming Friday, and I could use some suggestions to make the experience a little more even-handed.

Already went to Saks, which was pretty picked through, though they had a pretty good selection of Charvet ties for $55, (I picked up two), and a few decent pairs of shoes left (including antique-brown Westons for $270 from $850).

Sales at Polo and BB are also well covered elsewhere and online.

Anyone have any idea about sales at the other big department stores (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Barney's)? I'll probably also make a quick trip to Nordstrom Rack since it's close by.

Does Paul Stuart have any kind of promotion around Thanksgiving or only after Christmas? Any of the other boutiques worth a visit?

Thanks everyone, I'm still new to the city and trying to get it all sorted out.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the Chicago Barney's yesterday, and there is a decent sale. A lot of the CO-OP stuff is marked down, but the MC side is not marked down as much.

They had some house label (Caruso) SCs in the $800 range, IIRC, and a bunch of suits (some Isaia, a lot of Boss and Etro) still $1,000+ on sale.

There were some decent deals on shirts and ties, but nothing like Saks, and the shoe selection was very thin.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you hit the Rack on State then definately head across the street and check out Filene's!
I was there yesterday and they seemed to have quite a bit of good stuff on sale.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may pass through the area, and have thought about stopping by a few stores. The reviews here are helpful.

Young Pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
If you hit the Rack on State then definately head across the street and check out Filene's!
I was there yesterday and they seemed to have quite a bit of good stuff on sale.

Good call on FB, anything of note? I've never really found anything worthwhile at that FB, but have had better luck with the Michigan Ave. one on occasion.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
Good call on FB, anything of note? I've never really found anything worthwhile at that FB, but have had better luck with the Michigan Ave. one on occasion.

I agree with you on that note. The Michigan Ave store has far more in the way of suits and such.
The State Street store had some pretty good ties, which were marked down 50% I remeber seeing some Armani, Brioni and Borelli among them. They had a pretty good selection of Pocket Squares too. Some wider knits from Utopia for about $20. The shoes were not very good. But I figured since you'd be across the street it would be a worthy stop.

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro

Michigan Ave. FB had some great stuff in "The Vault" about a week ago, but the selction of gems has probably dwindled by now. You have to get lucky with FB. I wouldn't "plan" a trip there; you have to pop in without an agenda.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Nordstrom will be doing anything until the day after X-mas.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think PS will discount 'til after xmas.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I don't think PS will discount 'til after xmas.

The Paul Stuart NY sale starts on December 4th.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads