1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black Friday - Did clothing retailers give up this year?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by velvel87, Nov 21, 2012.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

+1

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

How many baby seals did you club to death on your way to Tim Horton's this morning?

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I never buy any clothing on Black Friday. I do my normal Christmas shopping for people and all money I save for my own purchases is spent on the post-Christmas sales.

The Brooks Brothers one last year was good. If it's anything like that again I'll be able to buy a couple sport coats and some other things.

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Four. It was a slow day.

1 person likes this.
  5. KungFuJoe

KungFuJoe Member

Seconded on that CTshirt "deal". Talk about trying to pull a fast one.

BR has 40% off right now but now I'm suspicious about every retailer marking up before their BIG SALE basically making you come out even...

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Heh, yeah. Go figure. The only time CT merch. isn't marked 50% is during these "sales".

They're not fooling anyone who's visited the website more than a few times.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The ironies of life are such, my friend.

If a parking lot becomes full, but no one is there to see it, does it make a sound? :confused:

8. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I've been seeing VinnyMac's post more and more, and many of his posts strongly suggest some time of frustration... What's up dude?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. rclark

rclark Active Member

To be fair, most of us here are into more "respectable" and high-end fashion lines, which often don't play the Black Friday/"sales" angle up very much because their clientele doesn't necessarily need it. I mean, when was the last time you saw well-dressed gentlemen lining up at 12AM and trampling over each other get "bargains" on Black Friday? It's just not consistent with these brands.

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

There's no frustration here...sorry if it comes off that way bro'. Sometimes, it's hard to transmit the lawlz through a keyboard.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

streetwear was better than mc this year

12. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

Haha, but they will stalk out the B+S for any deal they can find...Rarely do people here buy things at full price.

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Nothing wrong with that.

14. lgodoy31

lgodoy31 New Member

Brooks Brothers had 50% off everything from 12am to 3am then 40% off after that. All the other places had the same old weekend sale...

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I didn't leave my hotel to go shopping until 1. p.m.; the stores I planned to visit didn't have door busters or sales at all. I had a very relaxing morning followed by a leisurely afternoon of shopping. :satisfied:

16. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

After trying to go to a few sales a couple years back (for electronics), I realized the time and frustration is simply not worth the savings. I figure at most, I'll save $100-200 which isn't really worth the stress and hours in line. For clothing, I've actually found the online sales are often better than the in-store sales, particularly the Mr. Porter sales and when Yoox has their clearances.

17. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I went to Off Fifth, which the one here has turned into an absolute dump. There was one item in the entire store that I saw that wasn't made for the outlet.

Then I wandered over to Neiman Marcus, and I was one of the few people in the store, but didn't even get a hello from an associate while eyeballing some Sauelsohn suits and a fantastic Cucinelli cashmere overcoat. Perhaps that's the reason they're closing their doors next year.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  18. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

What's a good realistic price for a zegna mainline suit anyway?

19. suited

suited Senior member

Personally, I'm generally annoyed when people ask me stuff while I'm browsing. If I need help, I'll ask for it. I can't imagine someone who needs help just aimlessly walking around the store waiting for someone to approach them. I prefer reserved sales people over aggressive ones - especially in retail clothing environment. Now, if you're talking about a car dealership, that's different. I can only go so far without the help of a salesman at a car dealership, but when I'm shopping for clothes I find it much more inviting when I'm not bothered.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  20. suited

suited Senior member

Off Saks has them 50% off (or buy 1 get 1 free) all the time. I can't remember the exact pricing, but I think you'd be looking at 700-800 during that sale.