• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black for casual wear?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read the threads about black being (by some) considered an unappropriate color for a suit, especially for conservative business use.

And I get that black pants may have a certain 'uniform' vibe to them (like a waiter or doorman).

Obviously, some may dislike black clothes based purely on their personal taste, but do some of you find that there other reasons to stay away from black, casual clothes?

I'm especially thinking about black sweaters and black sportcoats.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Honestly I feel that black is a fine color, although I can see how people might not appreciate it in certain situations.

I say go for it, if you enjoy it. I wear plenty of black, there's nothing wrong with it, although I prefer a dark grey usually.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently bought a black shawl-collar sweater. The severity of the color works better in winter, I think. But I don't have much desire for black in general. I don't like the effect of black sportcoats, as the black overwhelms most every other color. The effect is too high contrast and looks cartoonish. Even my black sweater will have limited utility, I expect. I'll wear it mostly with charcoal and other grays. I can't imagine having to find ties to stand up to the black.

From a practical standpoint, black sweaters, sportcoats and shirts highlight even the slightest trace of dandruff or dry scalp. Also, black shirts/clothing quickly looks terrible if washed.

RyanM

Reaction score
I think black usually looks great with grey, eg black shoes, sweater,
especially when there is a black pattern in the grey;
actually I think black is the better option than brown when it comes to grey/charcoal

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a style side and a fashion side to the question.

As Doc just wrote, contrast can be a problem. The right contrast is important since it draws the best out of your clothes. If you have olive/gray trousers and wear a green jacket, the trousers will look more olive. If you have orange/brown pants and wear a navy blazer, the combination might look especially good since orange and navy like to be together. Black is not a color, and it makes a strong contrast that does not flatter other elements of the outfit. It does not play well with others. In almost every case, the same item in a color would look better.

White is not a color & white creates strong contrast, too. But white adds light & this is needed to better see you & the rest of your outfit. A white shirt will flatter your face and sportcoat, your tie, your watch, your smile, etc. I don't think the same thing is true for a black shirt.

Black is also an excellent color for shoes and belts, watch straps and briefcases, umbrellas and other accessories. The best time to wear black and all dark colors, I've found, is at night in low lighting when I want to lay low & assimilate & not be a distraction. And I'm not inclined to match my sweater or my pants to my shoes, which will be black in this situation. And here, in a dimly-lit space, a dark burgundy, blue, or purple will works just like a black sweater. Those choices, however, also will work well in daylight. So they are more versatile.

Then there is the fashion question. Black is a very popular choice these days. You can get anything in black. Black suits are still the big clichÃ
00a9.png
and black chinos and shirts are so common, you can find them in all the discount stores as well as all the expensive stores. Not long ago there was an edginess to black for men, and a lot of people wore black with attitude. If it was black, it was cool. Black suits and shirts were once hard to find. Today there is no originality in black. Head to toe in a black is a pathetic clichÃ
00a9.png
. If a man wears black with attitude, it's not edgy. It's more an expression of self-deluded conformity.

If you want to be daring, try wearing plaid.

Sometimes the conformity is what you want. It's not always sad to blend in. Since black is so popular right now, that could be a reason to buy some if you have good reason to go along to get along.

One last thing. The black sportcoat has become a popular item with young men who own one (black) suit and no sportcoats. I see black suit jacket + jeans/cargo pants/khaki chinos pretty often these days. That's another fashion trend you'll be jumping on if you go out and buy a solid black sportcoat. You'll look like these guys. Maybe that's desirable. Maybe it's not.

So there are style strikes against black casual clothes and then, depending on how you see things, maybe there are fashion strikes as well. Good luck /manifesto

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
forgive me for I am about sin. For work tomorrow, I pulled out a black MTM suit with a MTM blue/white/black striped shirt and, the horror, black J&M loafers with tassel. Please, purge me. Purge me, Sardo Numpsey.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Ditto to the others. Every now and then I break down, and I wind up with a black piece of clothing in my closet. And then I never wear it. And then I finally force myself to wear it, and I feel uncomfortable all day. And then I give it away to someone who can appreciate it.

Example: twelve months ago, my haberdasher talked me into a beautiful black pinstriped Isaia that he had at a much-better-than-usual price. I was hesitant, but the cut was nice and the fabric quality was quite good -- especially for the price I was offered. I wore it two times, put it away. I forced myself to wear it again a couple of weeks ago, but I just couldn't stand the contrast. I have plenty of charcoals and oxford greys, but the starkness of the black was just overwhelming. All times it was worn were as evening-wear (i.e., not to work). It is now in the hands of a very good friend who relishes being the same size as I am (and who otherwise could not afford it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads