• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Fleece tailoring in NYC

brianoh

Reaction score
I just ordered a black fleece suit online, and want to get it tailored once it comes in. I know BB does in-house tailoring for 30-50 dollars depending on what needs to be done.. should I trust that? And if so, should I go to the Bleeker St. location, or would the Madison Ave location work fine.. I work at a conservative bank, and am not looking for the usual Thom Browne signature cuts.

If I shouldn't go in-house, what tailors would you guys recommend to me?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi my name is edmorel and I'll be your snarker for this poast.

First, lets get rid of the obvious:

1) You work in a conservative bank and you got black fleece!?!??!
2) You got Thom Browne but don't want to do the full Thom Browne!?!?!!?

Lastly, let me help you but not without making you feel bad about it:

"There is this thing called the search button, we've only covered this topic every day for the last five years"

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=nyc+tailors

1wb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianoh
I just ordered a black fleece suit online . . . I work at a conservative bank, and am not looking for the usual Thom Browne signature cuts. If I shouldn't go in-house, what tailors would you guys recommend to me?
That suit is unlikely to work for you regardless of tailoring - BBBF lapel width, etc. does not = conservative workplace attire. Edit: oops, second. See above.

brianoh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Hi my name is edmorel and I'll be your snarker for this poast.

First, lets get rid of the obvious:

1) You work in a conservative bank and you got black fleece!?!??!
2) You got Thom Browne but don't want to do the full Thom Browne!?!?!!?

Lastly, let me help you but not without making you feel bad about it:

"There is this thing called the search button, we've only covered this topic every day for the last five years"

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=nyc+tailors

1.) It's not ultra-conservative. I can wear slim-fit suits, I just don't think my work would be very happy if I came in pants that were hemmed above my ankles in bright orange socks.
2.) Thom Browne's BB line is more conservative than his main line, so yes, I don't want full Thom Browne.
3.) The main focus of my post was asking if I should trust in-house tailoring at BB, and if I shouldn't where I should go.

You're awfully patronizing.

MoxJr

Reaction score
how do the black fleece suits fit?

black fleece = fitzgerald fit or even slimmer? im thinking about ordering one online, but might go into the store and try one out first...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1.) It's not ultra-conservative. I can wear slim-fit suits, I just don't think my work would be very happy if I came in pants that were hemmed above my ankles in bright orange socks.
2.) Thom Browne's BB line is more conservative than his main line, so yes, I don't want full Thom Browne.
3.) The main focus of my post was asking if I should trust in-house tailoring at BB, and if I shouldn't where I should go.
You're awfully patronizing.

Why would you NOT trust them? What are you looking to get done? Taper jacket?

bmf895

Reaction score
I tried on a jacket in my regular size at the store on Bleeker. It was laughably short on my modest 5' 9" frame. The fabric was luxurious and the construction was beautiful. But with ****** hanging out, I felt extremely uncomfortable. YMMV. IMO the current Black Fleece style (very slim lapel, short jackets) already looks dated in the same way boxy suits from the 90s with low gorges look dated. You'll look like a clown at your "conservative bank" even in Bohemian New York...

...unless you're under 5'6"

brianoh

Reaction score
I'm 5'10. The classic suit hits a little bit above the butt. link I'll try the in-house tailor.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll try the in-house tailor.
BB's tailors should be able to take care of it to your satisfaction.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 5'10. The classic suit hits a little bit above the butt.

link

If you get the suit in your usual correct size, then it will not fit above the butt as it shows on the models on the BB website. The models wear BB0 when a BB2 or BB3 is what would be typically correct for them.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few years ago the BF manager at Madison Avenue told me that they would tailor BF for free regardless of where you purchased it.

lefty

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thom-browne-spring-summer-2009-10.jpg

brianoh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
A few years ago the BF manager at Madison Avenue told me that they would tailor BF for free regardless of where you purchased it.

lefty

Went there today and a SA told me that it could cost anywhere from 30-50 dollars to get it altered for me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

lefty

I purchased a BF suit online on deep discount and BB altered it for free. This was a couple years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads