• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Fleece Grey Wool Classic Jacket: Worn as a sport coat? What kind of buttons?

tombking

Reaction score
Hello SF's users,

I recently acquired a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Grey Jacket, and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of the questions that I have about it. Thanks.

Information about the Jacket-

http://tinyurl.com/Wool-Classic-Jacket

Questions:

1.\tWhether or not to wear it as a sport coat or as a suit jacket?

2.\tWhat kind of buttons should I have on this jacket if I want to wear it as a sport coat?

Here is the picture of the buttons that came with the jacket. BB's website describes it as, "Genuine mother-of-pearl buttons".

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's going to be a tough sell as a solo jacket, considering it's pretty structured. However, it's cut pretty slim and short, which will help with what you're trying to do. I recommend buying the matching suit pants (ask BB service for help) on sale, so you have a complete suit on the cheap.

I actually am just about to pull the trigger on a used Black Fleece grey wool suit, and I may try just the same that you want to do...

tombking

Reaction score
Thank you for your comment. If I would go the sport coat route, should I get different buttons or stick with what I already have?

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look fine, not too formal, not too casual. If anything, make sure the waist fit is spot on.

tombking

Reaction score
When you wrote that, make sure the waist fit is spot on, do you mean that the bottom of the jacket should be close to my hip and thigh?

If not, please explain. Thank you.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
******* special flower.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombking
When you wrote that, make sure the waist fit is spot on, do you mean that the bottom of the jacket should be close to my hip and thigh?
If not, please explain. Thank you.

No, he did not mean length - and if you are unsure about length on a TB designed jacket you're in a bit over your head here; you couldn't really be departing from a standard jacket cut more without going full Junya. Speaking as someone who wears this stuff 4 days a week, I only wear BBBF with more BBBF. It is not easy to deal with in terms of proportions otherwise.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reedobandito
That's going to be a tough sell as a solo jacket, considering it's pretty structured. However, it's cut pretty slim and short, which will help with what you're trying to do. I recommend buying the matching suit pants (ask BB service for help) on sale, so you have a complete suit on the cheap.

I actually am just about to pull the trigger on a used Black Fleece grey wool suit, and I may try just the same that you want to do...

Agreed. I got that suit last year for my wedding. I wouldn't wear it without the pants. Not ballys enough to rock it with shorts.

tombking

Reaction score
From what I have read, TB likes to design his jacket shorter than contemporary jackets. The jacket is long enough to cover my back side so no problem there. I am 5'5 and 140 pounds.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By fitted in the waist, I mean right around your lower ribs, you're going to want it nice and snug when you button it. At your height, the jacket will probably fall at a more normal length. And really, pick up those suit pants. Pretty sure I saw them on sale on their website recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics