• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Dress Shirts

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another ad hominem attack. It doesn’t matter why someone is wearing a black shirt. Does it look good? Why or why not?

Is it non conformist to like punk rock and not old school hip hop? What one likes doesn’t have to be reactionary. It is sometimes, but we shouldn’t assume so and it shouldn’t affect or judgment of the outfit.
I don't care what @tcmquincy wears or why he wears it. But starting a thread to solicit feedback that he is stylish or cool or whatever seems rather silly and invites, well, feedback. And apparently feedback he doesn't like.

It also seems very silly to declare "I'm not going to adhere to any tired and outdated rules! And I'm gonna prove it by wearing a black shirt!" Just like everyone else who thinks they are being radical or daring or non-conformist by wearing a black shirt. There's nothing non-conformist about it.

Wear a black shirt or don't. I think a black shirt is a very poor choice in every instance and in every photo posted in this thread. But if anyone wants to wear one, fine. I don't have to like it.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I don't care what @tcmquincy wears or why he wears it. But starting a thread to solicit feedback that he is stylish or cool or whatever seems rather silly .

Is that legitimately what you think I started the thread for? Did you actually read my initial post? I was looking for advice to do it better or as best as possible.

It also seems very silly to declare "I'm not going to adhere to any tired and outdated rules! And I'm gonna prove it by wearing a black shirt!" Just like everyone else who thinks they are being radical or daring or non-conformist by wearing a black shirt. There's nothing non-conformist about it.

I also said a few times I don't want to talk philosophy, and I never said I wore them for a "non-conformist" look. Why is everybody fixating on this? I'm pretty sure all I said was that it is more outside the box than a white or blue shirt; which it is. It clearly is considering how so many people are so adamantly against it and not willing to ever try it; probably because of rhetoric like this and people saying "it can never look good". Read my original post. I think you are missing the point entirely.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
@Andy57 after checking your Instagram, I think you could rock a black shirt and make it look stylish as hell. I really dare anybody that has never tried it to try to put an outfit together and make it look as best as possible. That was another point I was trying to make. Nothing about conformity or anybody's opinion on the philosophy of fashion. And for the record I'm stylish and cool and I don't need a sf thread to prove it :) This thread is about black shirts and I'd appreciate if we stuck to that topic.

Jacob E.

Reaction score
Extreme dogmatism and rigidity, manifested in this thread, seem to be very un-fashion-forum-like, but I guess some people want to know ONLY what they already know - and actively reject everything that they perceive as going against their "knowledge".

Some people are even extremely adamant against them and claim there is no way they can look good, smart, or stylish.

Strictly IMO, of course, but as soon as you see someone "adamant" about something in a forum dedicated to fashion, you can safely assume you're dealing with a moron, pardon my French.

On the subject of OP itself: black dress shirt wouldn't be my personal choice. However, I would argue that the outfit in the picture below (borrowed from Pinterest) is far more interesting than about 80% of what's routinely posted in HOF thread.

5327154f806d6cd482844a0e9da0747c--tie-and-pocket-square-pocket-squares.jpg

Last edited:

TimothyF

Reaction score
Extreme dogmatism and rigidity, manifested in this thread, seem to be very un-fashion-forum-like, but I guess some people want to know ONLY what they already know - and actively reject everything that they perceive as going against their "knowledge".

Strictly IMO, of course, but as soon as you see someone "adamant" about something in a forum dedicated to fashion, you can safely assume you're dealing with a moron, pardon my French.

On the subject of OP itself: black dress shirt wouldn't be my personal choice. However, I would argue that the outfit in the picture below (borrowed from Pinterest) is far more interesting than about 80% of what's routinely posted in HOF thread.

View attachment 1183371

Perhaps you are seduced by the model's classically handsome features. In case no one taught you, good-looking people look good in just about anything. Heck, they look good even without clothes! :crazy:

Jacob E.

Reaction score
Perhaps you are seduced by the model's classically handsome features. In case no one taught you, good-looking people look good in just about anything. Heck, they look good even without clothes! :crazy:

Perhaps you're projecting.

TimothyF

Reaction score
OP: Can you tell us more about the black shirt(s) in your pics? Who made them, what they're made of, and if they are treated or not. They appear quite shiny.

A black cotton shirt without any finish on top fades quicker than lighter colored shirts. You will end up with a dingy, tired color that may or may not be to your liking.

My last point is that we have to be specific about what "looking good" means. It means different things to different people with different backgrounds. Similarly, the tastefulness-to-vulgarity spectrum is different for different people. So suggesting black shirts for some of us here is like suggesting pinstripes to a cattle rancher.

Last edited:

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I agree @Jacob E. . This was my first post on this forum and I am def quite surprised at how seriously and viscously everybody hates black shirts. 99% of which have probably never worn or tried to wear one. I even mentioned in the original post that I would appreciate a discussion outside of "they look bad and can never look good". Some discussion this has been. Somehow it has manifested into "you are trying so hard to be non conformist" and "you made this post to prove you are cool/stylish". It's kinda sad literally just the color of a shirt can cause so many emotions in some people lmao. People who could probably pull it off if they tried. Imagine saying there was no way brown could ever look good. Imagine advocating for trying a black belt and tan shoes and being accused of "trying too hard to break style rules". Some people on here I assume will literally wear bow-ties, suspenders, top hats, all sorts of things that are a bit out there for todays style (yet interesting). But a black shirt is where the line is drawn and it can never be made to look good, smh.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree @Jacob E. . This was my first post on this forum and I am def quite surprised at how seriously and viscously everybody hates black shirts. 99% of which have probably never worn or tried to wear one. I even mentioned in the original post that I would appreciate a discussion outside of "they look bad and can never look good". Some discussion this has been. Somehow it has manifested into "you are trying so hard to be non conformist" and "you made this post to prove you are cool/stylish". It's kinda sad literally just the color of a shirt can cause so many emotions in some people lmao. People who could probably pull it off if they tried. Imagine saying there was no way brown could ever look good. Imagine advocating for trying a black belt and tan shoes and being accused of "trying too hard to break style rules". Some people on here I assume will literally wear bow-ties, suspenders, top hats, all sorts of things that are a bit out there for todays style (yet interesting). But a black shirt is where the line is drawn and it can never be made to look good, smh.

I think black shirts can look nice layered underneath a turtleneck and an overcoat buttoned up all the way to the neck.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
OP: Can you tell us more about the black shirt(s) in your pics? Who made them, what they're made of, and if they are treated or not. They appear quite shiny.

they are all Lands End I believe. I didn't intend for them to be shiny. I never had them "treated" but they have been dry cleaned once or twice and gone in the wash after every 2-5 wears. Always hit it with a steamer and a lint brush.
Capture.PNG

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I think black shirts can look nice layered underneath a turtleneck and an overcoat buttoned up all the way to the neck.

you don't have to like them but if that's how you feel and all you have to add to my question could u not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads