• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Dress Shirts

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Howdy, I am new to SF and this is my first post!

On MANY forums and threads on r/mfa I have seen most people advising against black long sleeve button up (dress) shirts. Some people are even extremely adamant against them and claim there is no way they can look good, smart, or stylish. To me it seems like almost a silly style rule such as "black and brown cannot look good together". I have personally worn many outfits with black dress shirts and trousers or jeans, with a sports coat/blazer, even with some suits. The most stylish person I know (who is an extremely wealthy professor at my university) generally wears a black french cuff shirt with his suits and sports coats, with students constantly remarking on how good he and his outfits look. (this said, he does have a darker complexion, which some have said is required for this look).

Can you guys share any pics or advice on black dress shirts (with jackets), aside from the typical "they can never look good and should be avoided". Thanks!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to pull off well IMO. Black doesn't really go with much and it's hard to keep clean.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Black doesn't really go with much and it's hard to keep clean.

Mine look pretty clean as long as I minimize dry cleaning and use a lint roller before each use. Shouldn't black technically go with everything as it is the absence of color? The only thing I can think of it clashing with would be white and even then there are plenty of people who wear black and white. Thanks for your opinion tho :)

IChen

Reaction score
i don't know about absence of color. rather imo, it creates a contrast where you notice that difference in color shout out.

imo i don't see how it looks good outside of being at the club for example

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine look pretty clean as long as I minimize dry cleaning and use a lint roller before each use. Shouldn't black technically go with everything as it is the absence of color? The only thing I can think of it clashing with would be white and even then there are plenty of people who wear black and white. Thanks for your opinion tho :)

Not sure. I think heavily textured or patterned black can look good. IE Eton's twill dress shirt or some of etro's paisley.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
During my study abroad in London I noticed that in both London and Paris the "all black" look is quite popular. These are two outfits I wore during that time. I personally do not think it looks too much like I am going to the club (or working at a restaurant lol) but that seems to be what most people say about black dress shirts. I'm no model and there are far better examples I've seen irl but I really don't think its that hard to pull off. Outside of a work/business setting I don't think it's ridiculous or un-classy, what are y'alls thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.24.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.25.27 PM.png

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you joined StyFo to try to convince us all that black shirts are, contrary to all evidence, stylish? Okay.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
So you joined StyFo to try to convince us all that black shirts are, contrary to all evidence, stylish? Okay.

I joined a few days ago because I like style and it seems like a cool forum. With this post I suppose I was hoping at least a few people would be open to the idea they could be stylish. I know they can be, and I think the idea that they cant be stylish is quite close minded and for lack of better words "rule following". I feel like rules, especially in fashion, are meant to be broken. And being vehemently against black dress shirts is a dumb rule, imho. I would bet most people saying that have never actually tried it, or made it look good. But thats just my opinion and I was hoping to get some of y'alls opinion too.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks alright I guess

screen-shot-2019-05-25-at-11-24-54-pm-png.1183027

screen-shot-2019-05-25-at-11-25-27-pm-png.1183028

Hard pass on this one. Satin magenta tie does not go with this at all.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I feel like it is saying "black can't look good" "brown/pink/green can't look good". I am wondering who has actually tried it, pulled it off, failed to pull it off (and if I have by all means tell me), and what the opinions other than "they can never look good" are.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Hard pass on this one. Satin magenta tie does not go with this at all.

I appreciate the feedback. Is there a different color tie you might suggest over the magenta one? Here is another similar outfit (my hopes are not up for getting good feedback at this point lmao but I really liked it). My idea was that the attention would be brought to the tie and pocket square (teal and mustard/gold). If it makes any difference it was for a night out with my ex at some bars/clubs (not work)
IMG_1684.JPG

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I think it is possible to look good in a black shirt. I have personally never tried it and probably never will. I dislike both outfits you posted of yourself. If you think those outfits look good, then we may not agree about much in terms of style.

I agree that most rules are silly, but they exists for a reason: to keep the majority of people safe stylistically. Yes, you can ski down this part of the mountain, but you might die trying. Leave this to the professionals which most people are not. Even if you can survive, it may not look elegant to the professionals and the non professionals.

I would challenge you to search the internet and find some photos of people pulling off this look. Your pics are not convincing and most here have most likely not tried this look.

I think there is some good stuff out there, but it is rare. Thanks for posting.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. Is there a different color tie you might suggest over the magenta one? Here is another similar outfit (my hopes are not up for getting good feedback at this point lmao but I really liked it). My idea was that the attention would be brought to the tie and pocket square (teal and mustard/gold). If it makes any different it was for a night out with my ex-gf at some bars/clubs View attachment 1183044
:confused2:

IChen

Reaction score
the picture you posted without the tie looked the best. i...well bright ties just aren't going to work with black shirts...

If you want to roll with sport coat + black dress shirt no tie, go right ahead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads