black double monk strap for formal with captoe or without

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hermes man, Jul 9, 2016.

1. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

black double monkstrap for formal , with captoe or withourt?

2. seejulius

seejulius Member

without, looks cleaner.

3. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

ok thanks

what about for business ? plain or captoe?

4. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Monkstraps are loafers and are inherently casual. I would not wear them for either business or a formal occasion. Strictly casual for me.

5. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

but i read in the internet alot of them say it is acceptable to use monk strap for business these days

captoe or without captoe better ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

These days most businesses have "business casual" dress codes and so are not the most formal outfits.

Certainly double monks are less formal than an oxford is but in most business situations they'd be perfectly fine. Technically without toe cap is more formal than with toe cap - with or without double monks - but personally I prefer toe caps.

For formals, well it depends just how formal it is. I've been to some places where you wouldnt be allowed in with double monks and been to others where well polished double monks would make you the best dressed in the room (footwear at least)

7. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

Strictly formal wise, you should be wearing a black oxford (not even a derby or blucher). I am referring to black and white balls, or those that you wear tuxedo where a brown shoe would be considered unacceptable.

Single strap is usually considered more formal than double straps, but I think it's usually acceptable to wear a plain double monk with or without captoe for formal occasions. But then, who really will notice except you? The ladies will likely notice, but they wouldn't be able to tell what a captoe is.