Black cords - what goes???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asr123, Mar 8, 2012.

1. asr123

asr123 New Member

I bought some black cords from Ralph Lauren about 3 months ago and haven't really worn them too much as I'm finding it difficult to match them with anything.

I have always thought you shouldn't wear brown shoes with black trousers. My only two pairs of black shoes are leather polished ones which seem to look too shiny next to the trousers. I have both polished leather and suede brown shoes but don't think they look right either.

I'm also struggling to find a jacket that looks ok with them. Tried a dark grey blazer but didn't feel like it really matched very well.

Does anyone else have black cords and if so what looks good with them? (Or are they something that I need to be taking down to the charity shop soon?)

[The cords are a medium wale, dark black (not greyish), and have a plush velvety look. I'm 29.]

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

You are presented with a valuable learning opportunity: Buying a garment without already knowing how it fits into your "look" is a fool's game. I don't know how I'd wear black cords like that, in your shoes I'd be setting them aside for the charity shop, much like the midnight blue (read as black under most light) cords I bought a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

3. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Try light-colored coats: dark gray with black will just look like you tried to match and failed. Burgundy shoes might work.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

mid to light grey tweed. Black heavier shoes like Crockett and Jones Tetbury.

5. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

I wear my black cords in the fall and winter.

To me, wider wale cords are a casual look, so no jacket. Try a sweater or turtleneck.

In the daytime I would wear brown suede shoes and in the evening I would wear black shoes.

Spring is here, so stow the cords away until October.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wear 'em with more black ofcourse!

7. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

8. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

It naturally follows that if you're wearing black trousers, you must wear black shoes.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol: Well done comrade.

True and that would be the safe bet but they are cords so it gives some leeway in shoes, possibly in red, burgundy or black cherry..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

I am surprised that you do not like some of the combinations you describe. Black cords are inherently informal and so many of the so called rules' (always worth breaking/ignoring considering anyway as they are derived from an earlier era) are irrelevant.

A pair of tan or rich brown shoes would be fine, suede even fine. A dark grey blazer assuming that you really don't mean 'light black' should also be OK. There is a lesson here in not buying if you are unsure if something will fit the rest of your wardrobe but i think that you are being overly cautious. At the end of the day few will notice and frankly they can be ignored anyway.

11. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

Without wishing to hijack entirely, I'd like to flip this thread on it's head if I may.

I have a black corduroy jacket - fairly slim cut, notch lapels, double vent, flapped pockets.

It strikes me as being quite formal looking in everything but the material. Would the same guidelines people have posted for the trousers apply in reverse to a jacket? I was considering pairing with plain navy twill or dark grey (not charcoal) PoW check trousers. I like to wear waistcoats a lot - should I avoid this with such a jacket?

I tend to find when I put it on it feels too formal for normal daily wear and I invariably end up putting it back in the wardrobe. Perhaps I should just wear it to restaurants or bars in the evenings?

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

What size are they? I might have a use for them.

13. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

:lol:

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Black corduroy is a bad idea.

/thread

15. aizan

aizan Senior member

mark mcnairy is making lots of shoes that would match black cords.

black, navy, or burgundy loafers
    grey or navy bucks
    white/burgundy saddle shoes

as for jackets, any heavier, textured fabric in saturated and cool tones will work.

navy blazer (in a medium-dark shade, with silver buttons, not gold)
    crimson or pine green corduroy
    blue-grey glen plaid flannel
    flecked taupe or charcoal tweed

might not match the rest of your wardrobe, though. if it's too much trouble, i'd just pass them along.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012