• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black chinos... worth keeping a pair in the wardrobe?

PeterEliot

Reaction score
BB has apparently added black to their catalogue of Advantage chinos. I've never worn black chinos before and am wondering if they are versatile enough.

Would you advise for or against purchasing a pair? What would a man wear them with? (I'm 30 BTW.)

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of the RRL chinos because it sounded like a good idea. Once I received them and put them on I realized I would never wear them. They just don't really work with much and you look like a waiter.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black chinos are virtually unwearable. Don't waste your money.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two colors in chinos I've never worn; black & grey. Both seemed institutional to me.
Perhpas some makes have solved this problem? I'll have to look into it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
unless you're in the food serving industry better not bother.

markbao

Reaction score
Hrm, other than khaki and brown, what are other good colors for chinos?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a number of shades of khaki, from almost white to a dark British tan that all work. Other than that, I only like red. Lots of people wear olive green too.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned both black and gray chinos before and and didn't find them very wearable. Furthermore black cotton usually fades badly after only a few washes.

mth

Reaction score
If you feel the need to wear black pants, I'd recommend buying them in something other than cotton chinos.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mth
If you feel the need to wear black pants, I'd recommend buying them in something other than cotton chinos.

I agree. Black cotton does not wear well. It fades at the seams quickly looks tired. Black wool is a much better bet. And I agree with other posters that black pants are generally hard to pair with other garments.

benchan

Reaction score
Black chinos are alright, just not BB Advantage one. I do wear a slim faded one sometimes with suede desert boot and its looks decent pariing with brighter colour T/shirt/sweater etc or with a grey peacoat on top. If you were to only get one, then I guess stick with khaki or oliver colour.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole point of a black cotton chino is that it fades quickly and looks better the older it gets. Buy a pair at uniglo for $30 and beat the living **** out of them. Wash them 20 times, let the edges fray, throw them against a your driveway and drive over them. Then wear them with desert boots and a t-shirt.

lefty

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of black chinos but they ended up going to Goodwill unworn.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The J Crew Officer's Chino in black is about the only pair of black chinos I'd wear..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads