Black (charcoal?) pin strip

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by toplel, May 22, 2016.

1. toplel

toplel Senior member

I dropped off a donation at Salvation Army & got a gift card so decided I'd look around. Couldn't resist buying the suit below.

The problem is - it's arguably black - and I do want it for work. However, it doesn't seem "stark" to me, maybe because of the pin strip.

That's it below, with a black undershirt inserted for contrast. Accurate color representation is notoriously hard in pictures but I did my best, there is some direct sun in the first picture. When I put my charcoal suit alongside, this one does appear black.

Viable or not so much? Worst case I'll just re-donate it back to Salvation Army, no big deal.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016

2. SGTROCK

SGTROCK Active Member

If the fit is good and the quality is good you may be able to use it at funerals or court. I picked up a brand new Samuelson in black with grey subdued stripes. I work in government so I will use the suit for meetings. That being said I will probably never buy another because charcoal grey does everything a black suit does but better. I would not put a lot of tailoring dollars into it, for sure.

3. toplel

toplel Senior member

I was hoping someone would say the pinstripes make it marginally more acceptable for business use... [​IMG]