• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Ceiling....YAY or NAY?

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
I just acquired a 3 story townhome/condo....measures about 2500 sqr ft. On a recent trip to Spain, my wife explained to me that some nice places had black ceilings(not shiny, but flat black). She wants to paint the living room ceilings in this color, it has white walls with heavily distressed wood floors with Morrocan influenced furniture pieces and wood carved window covering. What would you guys recommend as it is not in my nature to do the furnishing in our houses, but my wife.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How big are the rooms, and how much light do they receive? Seems like a black ceiling could make a small room seem smaller, and a dark one darker.

It would only be the living room, its about 15 x 30 feet, it has 3 big windows with alot fo lighting coming in, but we hang the wood carved panels to block some out sometimes and theres also a big glass 8 foot long door(sliding) that leads to the balcony

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Human beings are use to seeing light skies above their heads and dark soil under their feet. That color combination is natural to our brain. That is why we feel quite comfortable with dark wooden floors and white sealing. Consider this when deciding on a black color: You never know how black sealing is going to affect your mood/subconscious.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Human beings are use to seeing light skies above their heads and dark soil under their feet. That color combination is natural to our brain. That is why we feel quite comfortable with dark wooden floors and white sealing. Consider this when deciding on a black color: You never know how black sealing is going to affect your mood/subconscious.

Interesting point

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

A lot of flooring tends to be lighter.
Beaches are sand colored.
I guess if your a farmer or walk on asphalt alot you might feel that way.

I've been in plenty of rooms painted in a dark shade.
The only consideration I would have is the height of the ceiling.
My guess is the ceiling is at least ten feet.
My other guess is the walls aren't really white either.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MOCAZEN
What would you guys recommend as it is not in my nature to do the furnishing in our houses, but my wife.

Recommend you at least give it a shot. If it works - great. If it doesn't, you can re-paint. Well, for black you would likely prime, then prime again, then re-paint, so it is a big hassle, especially for a ceiling that high.

Now - my personal opinion (for what it's worth). Light floors (maple) - okay with dark ceiling. Dark floor may feel constrictive with dark ceiling, even so far up. If you could hang a dark tarp up there to get the room's feel before committing to paint, that might be the best test of all.

Good luck in any case.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A dark ceiling looks much better if the entire building is something of a Beaux-Arts or older style. Otherwise Modernist buildings also look very nice with dark colored accents such as a ceiling.

The French decorator, Madeline Castaing had her entire Paris store front painted black with black awnings and her monograms in silver; quite chic.

Baccarat also has a black chandelier by Starck which I like:

2006_baccarat_1145897104.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black ceilings are nice if they are super high. If not, you start to feel like you are in a cave. Personally, I like walls and ceilings to be white. Floors too for that matter.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Black ceilings are nice if they are super high. If not, you start to feel like you are in a cave. Personally, I like walls and ceilings to be white. Floors too for that matter.

My place in SF had 13 foot ceilings. In Taos the living rooom went to 17 feet.
Strange, at times I felt as if there wasn't any ceiling.
Didn't care for that.
I like ten foot, spacious but intimate.
Do you have white floors now?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
My place in SF had 13 foot ceilings. In Taos the living rooom went to 17 feet.
Strange, at times I felt as if there wasn't any ceiling.
Didn't care for that.
I like ten foot, spacious but intimate.
Do you have white floors now?

I wish. I keep thinking of having them lacquered white, but my wife loves the floors that we have.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wish. I keep thinking of having them lacquered white, but my wife loves the floors that we have.

Heh, you would seriously want to live in an all-white cube?

As for black ceilings, I think it would look good if you have stone floors, really high ceilings and an industrial/minimalist sort of look to your furniture. Exposed concrete can be cool too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Heh, you would seriously want to live in an all-white cube?

As for black ceilings, I think it would look good if you have stone floors, really high ceilings and an industrial/minimalist sort of look to your furniture. Exposed concrete can be cool too.

Well, I would prefer a rubber room, but... Actually, a good friend of mine's apartment in Milan was completely white. Every piece of furniture, the walls, the cabinets, the floors, the art, everything. I loved it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads