• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Captoe Balmoral - BM Maioco vs AE Park Avenue

rhizopod

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm 28, and after years of neglect/indifference, recently decided to update my wardrobe. The first step was a new black dress shoe, to go with a suit for a wedding (big surprise there). Regrettably, I did not read these forums before making my decision. However, after reading some posts here, I became curious about some of the conclusions drawn. I narrowed my choices to the Bruno Magli Maioco and the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. (I was at Nordstrom, and this is what they had. I don't really like shopping, and prefer a one-stop shop for shoes and attire.) After trying both on, I concluded that the BM had a better "foot feel", for lack of a better description, and I also preferred the look of the "creamy" finish of the leather. These forums seem to indicate that the AEs are the better buy. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice when it comes to matters of this nature, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me what qualities of the AE are superior to the BM. The BMs definitely felt more "solid" on my feet, and the appearance of the two seem to be similar, though the AEs seems to have a visible stitch, whereas the BMs have more of a "ridge". Does this indicate some difference in the relative quality of construction and workmanship between the shoes? Anything else I should look out for next time?

Cheers!

cvac

Reaction score
I don't like the folded under seams of the BM, looks less traditional to me. That's why I prefer the AE. I'm in your age bracket but I don't go for trendy looks.

However, if the seams aren't an issue for you, and the BM fits your foot better, maybe you should get that instead. Nothing worse than a pair of shoes that doesn't fit right. The shape of the Park Ave doesn't work for everyone's foot. You may find a different style of AE fits your foot better.

I think the "creamy" feel to the leather on the BMs means it may be corrected grain leather. I would guess that is the case from the pic. I don't like that either. Corrected grain will look worse over time as creases in the shoe develop and the finish becomes worn in points of stress. Full-grain leather ages much better if well cared for.

One thing about AE leather to keep in mind is that it tends to be very stiff out of the box. However, after conditioning with leather conditioner and several wearings it softens up considerably. At least that has been my experience with 4 pairs of AEs purchased over the last year.

rhizopod

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. The Maioco is made from Nappa leather, which is a full grain leather, if I'm not mistaken.

KY Beast

Reaction score
I've had 2 pair of the BMs, one each in black and dark brown.

Upsides are that they've been VERY comfortable. They weigh nothing and i seem to have a lot of spring left in my step at the end of the day.

Downsides are that they obviously won't wear like the AEs. I've had them about a year and I think with the rate that they're going I'll be lucky if I get 2 years out of them. Also, they take a ****** shine which may be due to the nappa leather uppers.

Ultimately go for what fits better but I think the AEs are a better shoe.

rhizopod

Reaction score
Ah, durability. That's a factor I hadn't considered. I already bought the BMs; maybe it's worth considering the AEs as well... they're only $210 at Nordstrom right now.

cvac

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nappa_leather

Full grain, usually, but BM could've still applied some sort of plasticy finish to those shoes. Whatever it is, I don't like it at all.

Good dress shoes are usually made of calfskin (among other materials), which the AEs are.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any BMs, but several AEs, which I love. I have never had a problem and they have worn very well. Can't help with the "foot feel" (I love that term, by the way), but as long as they don't pinch, or are really uncomfortable, I would think this will imporve with a few wearings.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with AE PA, I think it is classic and will not go out of style, BM is more on a trendy side and I don't think will compare in quality to AE. AE offers good value for its price, considering that you can get them pretty cheap.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
if you love the way they feel walking around on them, dont return them. if you ask us our opinion, then buy them what you want anyway, stand behind your decision. akram's razor

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I found the Maioco to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. That said, I was able to get two pair of AE for the same price, and the Maioco's just did not feel like they would still be looking good after a couple of years. I recall that I said at the time that it felt like having gloves on your feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads