• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black cap toe bals

Scope

Reaction score
Ive done a pretty extensive search for a pair of obligatory black cap toe bals, but have yet to find the right pair. I really like EG Chelseas on the 202 last, but they are more than I can justify spending right now on a pair of shoes that wont see much wear. If I could find them on sale I could probably justify the purchase by telling myself they would be the last black shoe I would ever really need to buy, though.

So Im thinking about the AE Park Avenue, since it seem to be a pretty safe choice and can be found on sale with some regularity.

But before I make a decision Id like to see if there are any options that Ive overlooked, so Im looking for suggestions.

FWIW, I dont really like chisled toes, and these will be worn with slim cut Thick as Thieves (or similar) suits, which dont seem to be the norm in MC.

Patek14

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at some of alden's offerings.

For the records, while I may dream about a EG on the 202 (gotta go w/ that rounded toe!) I went with a black AE Park Ave. I am quite happy with my purchase.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Would you consider used? From time to time I see the exact shoe you are looking for on ebay for reasonable prices. I own both the AE PA and the EG 202. Out of the 2, I strongly prefer the EG 202. I use the PA for winter beaters.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Something like a Brooks Brothers Peal offering, particularly on sale, could be a great value compromise choice.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
You don't say how much the Chelsea is over your budget.

I have the C&J Belgrave in antique calf. Although I have several other pairs of of black cap toes, I think a black Belgrave would be a good choice.

Bic

Scope

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
You might want to take a look at some of alden's offerings. For the records, while I may dream about a EG on the 202 (gotta go w/ that rounded toe!) I went with a black AE Park Ave. I am quite happy with my purchase.
The Alden straight tip bal could be a contender.
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Would you consider used? From time to time I see the exact shoe you are looking for on ebay for reasonable prices. I own both the AE PA and the EG 202. Out of the 2, I strongly prefer the EG 202. I use the PA for winter beaters.
I would definitely consider a lightly used pair of Chelseas. Ive been searching for them on ebay for the past few weeks with no luck. Another problem is that I am unsure of what size I would be in EG, so the ebay route would be risky.
Originally Posted by AlanC
Something like a Brooks Brothers Peal offering, particularly on sale, could be a great value compromise choice.
Their site shows a perforated cap toe bal, but Im looking for non-perforated. For now anyway. Im also unsure how I feel about the toe shape.
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
You don't say how much the Chelsea is over your budget. I have the C&J Belgrave in antique calf. Although I have several other pairs of of black cap toes, I think a black Belgrave would be a good choice. Bic
I dont really have a budget. I just cant justify spending $1000 on a pair of shoes that will not get much wear for the foreseeable future. This will change when/if I get a job that calls for informal attire. CJ Belgraves are just a tad too square in the toe for me.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
You might want to take a look at some of alden's offerings.

+1

Or how about Church's Balmoral on their classic 73 last?

1425-678-photo3.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scope
I like these. Are they Church Consuls, or are just they called "Balmoral"?

I'm not really familiar with Church's, but from what I understand, the Consuls are (now) made on the 173 last, an offshoot(?) of the original 73 last. The 'classic' Consul might have been made on the 73 last.

Scope

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I'm not really familiar with Church's, but from what I understand, the Consuls are (now) made on the 173 last, an offshoot(?) of the original 73 last. The 'classic' Consul might have been made on the 73 last.

Ok, I think I like the Balmorals you posted better. The consuls look too bloated, at least in the picture on Herring's site.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've been quite happy with the AE Park Avenue. Were I to get another cap toe, I'd opt for the AE Fifth Avenue, which has a more interesting perforation on the toe:

shoehx.jpg

Scope

Reaction score
I might just end up going with the Park Avenues since they can be found for cheap on ebay, but I tried on a pair at Nordstrom today and didnt like 'em. They felt cheap, and the insole felt like a hockey puck. Ive never seen a shoe with a hard black insole before. Is that normal?

gtnc

Reaction score
The PA is a classic. Nordstroms usually runs them for around $200 during one of their big sales if you can't find them on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads