• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black boots with Brown jacket?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a lovely Prada Sport leather biker-style jacket in a dark chocolate brown (steal of the century at 165ukp/$300 from eBay) and I'm not sure what colour boots are best suited to it. I've read elsewhere that brown shoes and a black jacket is to be avoided, is this true for the opposite? I've been wearing it with a pair of black Lorenzi dress trainers (anyone heard of them? Style is very similar to a Gucci trainer with a pair of velcro straps) as they're all I have, but eyeing up the dress boots in the sales and not sure what colour to go for... (There's always the bright green, blue and tan Miu Miu pair
biggrin.gif
) Regards, Gareth.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For really casual clothing, like Biker jackets and sneakers, these rules don't really apply - in fact, too much matching and you'll look like an idiot. I don't think that black and brown leather (either jacket-boots or boots-jacket) match particularly well though. Go for an off shade brown or tan pair in a waxy leather.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't think dark brown leather works particularly well w/black leather, but for what it's worth, my light camel leather jacket works better w/my black boots than my brown.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a very dull black boot would work if you paired it with a pair of dark indigo blue jeans and maybe a grey sweater. This combination only works if the jacket has hints of red or is a very dark brown. Hope this gave you some ideas.

Aaron

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do black with my light brown/tan jacket all the time. I think if you do it you should just try to make sure you accessories match. You should try for a vintage brown boot, maybe a little lighter than you jacket. Not sure how well dark brown and black go together.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whereas we would probably all agree that electric blue cords would not work with light khaki/green patent leather shoes, it is difficult to say, without seeing the items, whether your combination works or not.  It often is a matter of more than just color.  I do all kinds of combinations of browns and blacks.  Sometimes it's hideous, sometimes it blends so well, you don't notice, and other times, you do notice and appreciate the match.

Bring the jacket in the stores and start trying shoes on.  No restrictions.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a very dull black boot would work if you paired it with a pair of dark indigo blue jeans and maybe a grey sweater. This combination only works if the jacket has hints of red or is a very dark brown. Hope this gave you some ideas.

This would work. A distressed gray boot sometimes looks alright too, surprisingly. Follow Fabienne's advice though. Best yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads