Black boots with Brown jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by v0rtex, Jan 19, 2005.

1. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

Hi there, I have a lovely Prada Sport leather biker-style jacket in a dark chocolate brown (steal of the century at 165ukp/$300 from eBay) and I'm not sure what colour boots are best suited to it. I've read elsewhere that brown shoes and a black jacket is to be avoided, is this true for the opposite? I've been wearing it with a pair of black Lorenzi dress trainers (anyone heard of them? Style is very similar to a Gucci trainer with a pair of velcro straps) as they're all I have, but eyeing up the dress boots in the sales and not sure what colour to go for... (There's always the bright green, blue and tan Miu Miu pair [​IMG] ) Regards, Gareth.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

For really casual clothing, like Biker jackets and sneakers, these rules don't really apply - in fact, too much matching and you'll look like an idiot. I don't think that black and brown leather (either jacket-boots or boots-jacket) match particularly well though. Go for an off shade brown or tan pair in a waxy leather.

3. ken

ken Banned by Request

I don't think dark brown leather works particularly well w/black leather, but for what it's worth, my light camel leather jacket works better w/my black boots than my brown.

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I think a very dull black boot would work if you paired it with a pair of dark indigo blue jeans and maybe a grey sweater. This combination only works if the jacket has hints of red or is a very dark brown. Hope this gave you some ideas.

Aaron

5. demeis

demeis Senior member

I do black with my light brown/tan jacket all the time. I think if you do it you should just try to make sure you accessories match. You should try for a vintage brown boot, maybe a little lighter than you jacket. Not sure how well dark brown and black go together.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Whereas we would probably all agree that electric blue cords would not work with light khaki/green patent leather shoes, it is difficult to say, without seeing the items, whether your combination works or not.  It often is a matter of more than just color.  I do all kinds of combinations of browns and blacks.  Sometimes it's hideous, sometimes it blends so well, you don't notice, and other times, you do notice and appreciate the match.

Bring the jacket in the stores and start trying shoes on.  No restrictions.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This would work. A distressed gray boot sometimes looks alright too, surprisingly. Follow Fabienne's advice though. Best yet.