• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black blazers.

mattjames

Reaction score
Black seems to be a very common colour for blazers, and I see many I like, but I can't help but feel that they might be a bit too formal for me. I realise my idea of formal will likely differ to the average poster here, but what are your thoughts on black blazers for smart casual wear?

PITAronin

Reaction score
Though there are some on both fora who aren't big fans, count me among those who find regular use for a black blazer. In sequential order of formality:
1. with jeans, a light blue OCBD shirt and black chukka boots
2. with dark gray slacks and either a light gray or white turtleneck
3. with black and white houndstooth slacks, white shirt and tie, black Grenson bals

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
Black seems to be a very common colour for blazers, and I see many I like, but I can't help but feel that they might be a bit too formal for me. I realise my idea of formal will likely differ to the average poster here, but what are your thoughts on black blazers for smart casual wear?

Black is a colour which should be reserved for formal dress. A black blazer is a complete oxymoron as it is stictly for sporty casual/semi-informal dress.

If may be "common" but that is the best possible reason to avoid it. After all do you want to look common?

mattjames

Reaction score
Well, when I say common, I mean it's common among designer collections as seen for sale at yoox and places like that. It is less common among the kind of brands that are held in the highest regard on this forum, and I don't exactly see them being worn that often in my part of the world. I would likely stand out if anything.

I suspect, Sator, that you have a fairly rigid code of dress which is strongly traditional for yourself, and that I would not conform to it at all. That doesn't matter. I wanted all opinions.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Black is a colour which should be reserved for formal dress. A black blazer is a complete oxymoron as it is stictly for sporty casual/semi-informal dress.

If may be "common" but that is the best possible reason to avoid it. After all do you want to look common?

A gentleman's true character cannot be disguised for long with any garment's cut and color. Furthermore, it is my opinion that the color black will suffer no true indignity when used for a blazer by a fellow of good character.

Windsurf

Reaction score
My experience with a blazer is that most come in Navy Blue except for the cashmere variety that are in either black or camelhair. Personally I like the camelhair but it isn't my color and I think the black looks better on me.

LapelQueen

Reaction score
Is it way off to propose that there is an American/European split with attitudes to when black suits/jackets should be worn?

Starguitar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator

Should a wardrobe be selected on an aesthetic basis or based on its ability to broadcast specific class connotations?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black blazer cut like an Oxxford for wearing to the office, no. Black blazer slightly more fashion forward for wearing out at night, yes. In the latter category, I own a ribbed velvet Prada hacking jacket and a cotton Costume National jacket with jagged iridescent pattern. These are two of the favorite pieces in my closet.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Starguitar
Should a wardrobe be selected on an aesthetic basis or based on its ability to broadcast specific class connotations?

"Common" can be a loaded word but I meant it in a more literal sense: ubiquitous because you get countless such mass produced items everywhere made by slave labour in far away places.

As a result everyone wears black these days. I love black. It is a powerful, somber colour whose deepest, darkest mysteries should be resevered for special occasions. When everyone wears black everything-and-anything 24/7 it just cheapens it and makes it look - 'common'.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love black in all of its forms, but honestly, for an odd blazer, I would go with dark blue or dark purple. Unless I am going for a particular 'look', of course.
bigstar[1].gif

Windsurf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Black blazer cut like an Oxxford for wearing to the office, no. Black blazer slightly more fashion forward for wearing out at night, yes. In the latter category, I own a ribbed velvet Prada hacking jacket and a cotton Costume National jacket with jagged iridescent pattern. These are two of the favorite pieces in my closet.

Do they ever get out of the closet?
crackup[1].gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a black blazer can look nice as shown in the pic below. I wouldn`t have one made for myself, but I think it can look good on others.

Attachment 2487

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads