1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black blazer and navy pants or vice versa

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oaw01, Apr 17, 2009.

1. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member

I know the rules - it's suppose to be a big NO... i.e. The guy can't afford a suit hence he has mismatch dark colors. However, I was browsing through the Ralph Lauren runway pics and that combo looked good. I guess it would work for a slim fitted blazer/pants combo like RLBL or RLPL.

What are your thoughts and have you wore this combo.

thanks

2. DoubleDomer

DoubleDomer Senior member

i don't think i've ever worn this combo purposefully. i did it once out of necessity - black cashwool sport jacket i had in my car when i went to a jackets required establishment. i was wearing navy trousers and brown semi-brogues with a polo shirt. i looked like a poser. luckily all the neighboring fat country club types looked woefully worse. i don't recommend this particular combination.

3. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Prada does it, so can you. Its all about fit. It wont work in the trad sense, but if its more of a modern cut, go for it.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I would pair a black blazer with a navy pants. Go for slim and modern like mentioned above.

I will be receiving a black solid herringbone coat soon. I wonder if I can pair it with a solid black gabardine pants? Too similar for proper odd pairing?

I will just go with charcoal pants.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Prada does it, so can you. Its all about fit. It wont work in the trad sense, but if its more of a modern cut, go for it.
    I agree. The look wouldn't work for me, but I think it could look okay.

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Black blazer can work with the right jeans.

7. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I would say yes, but only under the condition that the shade of navy is rich and light enough that it won't appear too similar too the black blazer under any lighting conditions. If the two are close enough, it will be a terrible combo. I could see it working if they are noticeably different, however.

8. ysc

ysc Senior member

I would say yes, but only under the condition that the shade of navy is rich and light enough that it won't appear too similar too the black blazer under any lighting conditions. If the two are close enough, it will be a terrible combo. I could see it working if they are noticeably different, however.

this

9. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Risky, but possible if the navy isn't too dark and doesn't have trad details such as metal buttons. Think about the shirt of the Inter footbal/soccer team from Milan.

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Hello, Security Guard!

11. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

gray and navy just look so much better

12. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Hello, Security Guard!

+1, why do this, there are so many other more interesting things to do.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i have a quick question if any one can answer honestly:

i just received a black Isaia base S cashmere herringbone sportcoat. it is pretty fit and nice lines on shoulders and waist.
    texture is like this up close
    [​IMG]

i also got a pair of Burberry prorsnum wool gabardine black pants. the subtle texture is gabardine (small narrow diagonal roped lines) very slim and sleek lines.

something similar to this mcqueen (not that high waisted though):
    [​IMG]

the two put together looks smashing in terms of silhouette. and both are jet black.

but of course the textures are different. herringbone for the coat, and gabardine for the pant.
    also the sheen of the black due to the different compositions give off a different black hue.

would it be safe to wear both together or would this be a faux pas?

thanks.

14. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

why do this, there are so many other more interesting things to do.

Why not? By that logic you should pass on anything that is not your absolute favorite outfit. Leaving you with one look that beats everything else but you wear it everyday. So I ask, why not add that look to a long list of looks?

15. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

faux pas

thanks.

deep down you know the answer.

16. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

I wouldn't do either. Gray would look so much better.

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

deep down honestly i think it looks pretty nice. but i dont know. would it be readily picked off at night as an odd jacket and trouser? i won' t wear it during the day.

18. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Shonuff. I cant picture that looking good. Its going to look like you tried to make it pass as a suit. I understand that your playing with textures but I dont think it would be enough to seperate the pants from the jacket especially in black. With black it is more difficult to see details and textures.

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

ok then.

is the only option for a black blazer then for night on the town look is to wear it with a charcoal pants?
    navy will look good but i cant picture it making me look slim enough. i see navy pants as heavy color. for trad outfit. not modern slim dress up outfit

20. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

I personally only pair my black odd jackets with grey trousers. The black blue combo just feels off to me but I'm sure many of you can pull it off and look good.