• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Armor - classic menswear and protection from harassment and violence

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just came across a really excellent article on black style in the USA, which makes the case that tailored clothing is a kind of armor for a new generation of young black dandies - it offers some protection for the wearer from the police and from racist scrutiny. I recommend it... and BTW, I deliberately put this here because it's about Classic Menswear, but it also a reminder that clothes have politics and that sometimes they can be a matter of life and death.

http://mashable.com/2015/08/08/black-men-dressing-up-police/

Of course, there is far, far more to the important history of black CM in the USA and I'm really pleased we have some excellent clothing companies that have come out of SF that specifically draw on ideas of blackness and black histories and cultures, in particular, @Tirailleur1 with Post-Imperial and @w.o.e.is.me. with Ikiré Jones. It's very sad that tailored clothing is returning for such negative reasons that the article rightly highlights, so I think it's important to highlight the positive as well (but not instead).

Last edited:

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Saw this one.
It's a fascinating discussion, and often comes up with proponents of "respectability politics" (the notion that if blecks dressed or presented themselves "better", they would not face as much harassment or mistreatment).

However, one should keep in mind that MLK and many men during the civil rights movement were wearing suiting/tailoring when beaten by the police and set-upon by dogs.

Ultimately, one's presentation, no matter how safe or elegant, will not deter the depraved heart of a racist.

Thanks for the kind words about our work btw.

To keep this in the context of classic menswear though, it's nice to see tailored clothing becoming a bit more mainstream among the youth. For whatever reason.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%