• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blücher-spelling

andrew96

Reaction score
Okay, people "blücher" is not spelled "blucher". That funny looking "u" with the dots is called a u-umlaut and changes the letter completely. It can be substituted with "ue"(as can any umlaut). So, if you don't know the code(right alt + 0252) just add an "e",bluecher.

It comes from Germanic language. Before you say anything bad about Der Deutsch read this sentence:

I had to polish the Polish furniture.

Source:
Ich komme aus Deutschland.
Also, my name is spelled with an umlaut.

viator

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or the alternate spelling: d-e-r-b-y :p

Thanks for the little language trivia though.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Okay, people "blücher" is not spelled "blucher". That funny looking "u" with the dots is called a u-umlaut and changes the letter completely. It can be substituted with "ue"(as can any umlaut). So, if you don't know the code(right alt + 0252) just add an "e",bluecher.

It comes from Germanic language. Before you say anything bad about Der Deutsch read this sentence:

I had to polish the Polish furniture.

Source:
Ich komme aus Deutschland.
Also, my name is spelled with an umlaut.

I knew I woke up today for a reason...

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Or the alternate spelling: d-e-r-b-y :p

Thanks for the little language trivia though.

You just don't sound cool and educated if you say derby though. It's such a barbaric term.

Hans

Reaction score
While we are on the topic, though, does anybody know why derby shoes are named (in US English) after Generalfeldmarschall von Blücher? He didn't invent them, did he? After all, he was a hussar, and presumably wore boots.

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
While we are on the topic, though, does anybody know why derby shoes are named (in US English) after Generalfeldmarschall von Blücher? He didn't invent them, did he? After all, he was a hussar, and presumably wore boots.

I don't think it was named after him. I believe that in those days Blücher was a common name.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fraublucher.gif

You don't say!

Hans

Reaction score
I believe that in those days Blücher was a common name.

... and then the Blüchers became extinct??

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
... and then the Blüchers became extinct??

"Amongst the great surnames of Germany that of "Blucher" is one of the most prominent. Like many such surnames it is of residential origins, and derives from the village of the same name near Boizenburg, on the river Elbe. The placename is of Slavonic origin, and it is thought that it describes a particular type of log cabin common in the region in ancient times. The surname is also found in the spelling forms of Bluecher and Bluechert. Not only is "Blucher" one of the most prominent of German surnames, with Coats of Arms granted to nameholders in Bavaria, Pomerania, Prussia and Mecklenburg (the epicentre of the surname) it is one of the earliest, as shown below. The most famous of the nameholders is probably Gebhard Leberecht Von Blucher, Prince of Wahlstadt and victor of Waterloo (1815) with the Duke of Wellington. Other (Church) recordings include Anna Maria Von Bluecher, who was baptised at Sukow, Mecklenburg, on June 1st 1598, and Joachim Bluecher, who married Elspeth Hamborg at Schlagsdorf, Mecklenburg, on April 29th 1662. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ulrich Von Blucher, which was dated 1214, in the "Medieval Land Charters of the Province of Mecklenburg", Germany, during the reign of Emperor Frederich 11 of the Holy Roman Empire, 1214 - 1250. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Blucher#ixzz1E54pFP71"

No, more likely they became spread out and then the name pool of Germany was diluted with middle eastern names. Most traditional names have been destroyed unfortunately. How many Oestmann's do you know? I'm one, we're from Hamburg and it was once a very common name in Germany.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Note the bolded words. It comes from German. But it came to English. Blucher is an English word. Bluecher is not. If you don't want to take my word for it, try OED.

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Note the bolded words. It comes from German. But it came to English. Blucher is an English word. Bluecher is not. If you don't want to take my word for it, try OED.

Sure you can omit the diacritic in cafÃ
00a9.png
, but it looks like crap and shows you ignorance. I love the OED as much as anyone, probably more, although English is made of of many languages. All languages are. English is a Germanic language, and people should understand Germanic symbols. If you didn't know better and you read that, you'd think it was pronounced incorrectly.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off topic, but I'd just like to state for the record that Eau d'Orange Verte is a very good Köln.

BevisFrondFan

Reaction score
You just don't sound cool and educated if you say derby though. It's such a barbaric term.

Well, in that case... I'm sure we all want to sound cool and educated. By the way, just how is derby a barbaric term?

I wore cologne in Köln.

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BevisFrondFan
Well, in that case... I'm sure we all want to sound cool and educated. By the way, just how is derby a barbaric term?

I wore cologne in Köln.

Nothing really wrong with it. I'm a Kraut though so I'd rather use the German.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads