• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bivolino MTM Shirt Fit: What Causes Shoulder Rumpling?

FitPursuit

Reaction score
Hi all

First time poster, but have been reading up on MTM shirts and soaking up the collective knowledge on display here over past few weeks. Finally took the plunge and ordered from Bivolino (choices are fairly limited in the UK if one doesn't want to be hit by customs), primarily because they offer a fit guarantee.

Bivolino also uses a proprietary biometric system for the measurements, so I only needed to enter my collar size, weight, height and age. Received the shirt 10 days after ordering, which has been washed once and ironed before the following photos. The shirt will mostly be worn with open collar and tucked, but I've also included pictures with collar buttoned and shirt untucked. All feedback re fit welcome.

As for the quality of the shirt itself, collar is lined/ fused and very stiff, and buttons are fairly thin and not the easiest to button up. But I did go for the cheapest fabric to nail the fit first.

Many thanks in advance for your input!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"proprietary biometric system for the measurements" :uhoh:

There's too much material in the upper back. Also, the shirt is much too big around the waist and lower ribcage - wide-set shoulders and under-developed lats? It's quite fixable. Same thing about the sleeves, if they are in fact slightly long.

FitPursuit

Reaction score
Many thanks for your feedback. Is the excess fabric around the upper back what causes rumpling in the shoulder lines?

Astaroth

Reaction score
Not sure how you have a limited choice in the UK

Why not use one of the italian MTM or Bespoke services and leverage the weak euro? You can certainly get them for not much more than you've paid and only have the slight hassle of waiting until they are next in the UK for a measuring

FitPursuit

Reaction score
That's certainly got me thinking thanks... Italian MTM shirts in UK hasn't even been on my radar until you mentioned it.

Any names I can bite into? I did a quick Styleforum search, and only found Lanieri which is fairly new.

Thanks again!

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

First time poster, but have been reading up on MTM shirts and soaking up the collective knowledge on display here over past few weeks. Finally took the plunge and ordered from Bivolino (choices are fairly limited in the UK if one doesn't want to be hit by customs), primarily because they offer a fit guarantee.

Bivolino also uses a proprietary biometric system for the measurements, so I only needed to enter my collar size, weight, height and age. Received the shirt 10 days after ordering, which has been washed once and ironed before the following photos. The shirt will mostly be worn with open collar and tucked, but I've also included pictures with collar buttoned and shirt untucked. All feedback re fit welcome.

As for the quality of the shirt itself, collar is lined/ fused and very stiff, and buttons are fairly thin and not the easiest to button up. But I did go for the cheapest fabric to nail the fit first.

Many thanks in advance for your input!

I am shirtmaker working in Naples with some of the best in the world.

quotting;

Bivolino also uses a proprietary biometric system for the measurements,

I got no idea about this obvious marketing gimmick, but the measures are clearly off.
If any system by just entering weight, height, etc can " imagine" how you body would be, is a total fail.

Too wide shoulders give a lousy look,

the back has a lot of extra room.
The yoke fits very bad.

The waist is worse.

Diagonal pull on the breast is a signal that by any reason should be on a mtm shirt, the front is unclear for it.

Is like getting a bended car from a brand new car shop.

The sleeves are totally out of pitch, see how they twist over themselves.

Also got too much diameter, this biometric system seems a bad joke or a bad attempt to fool good hearthed customers
as you by saying hi tech words as " biometric system" while the real should be poor measuring gives awful results, but we fool the client.

Also; Bivolino also uses a proprietary biometric system for the measurements,

But then the shirt is too short! ( Unless you gave that order, that i do not know).

I got no idea who Bivolino is, but please return the shirt and find a good online shirtmaker, are a few, but do exist.

See( sorry if spam, not what i pretend), a testshirt on first trial, this shirt is wasted then, is to see the fit on the client before we do the real one. Note with measures given to me online with no " biometrical hi tech"

, but a measuring tape, as i never measured the client myself.

See the perfect breast, shoulders and sleeves, only pending to short the sleeves, and adjust a bit the sleeve pitch as the client gave a few extra cms for sleeve measure.

This is what an online mtm shirt should be, not only my myself but for online real shirtmakers.

Last edited:

FitPursuit

Reaction score
Hi SartodiNapoli

Really appreciate your feedback... seems like this Bivolino MTM shirt is a waste of money then.

You appear to know what you're talking about, and the trial test shirt does look good... how do I place an order with you if I give you my measurements? Do you have a website?

Thanks again!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SartodiNapoli how nice to see some of your actual work! That test shirt looks very good already.
Though you often have a good point in your usual posts, all the rants and negative examples you post do become tedious. I understand that you're hesitant in posting your own work or in recommending tailors you appreciate, because you don't want to come across as a 'shill' (delightful word which Iearned from you, TBH). But I guess that most of your readers know that by now, and I really do believe that perhaps your own thread where you show us a bit more of your shirt making work and/or discuss tailoring work that you admire, would be appreciated by more than just a few of us.

colloc

Reaction score
Have you also taken the time to send your pics to Bivolino?
Have used them for a few years and have made a few sizing changes and am a very happy customer

FitPursuit

Reaction score
@colloc : Yes, I've sent the pictures to Bivolino, and they've asked me to fill in more conventional measurements (shoulder, waist, etc,) for a remake of the shirt, so well done to them. Can't wait to see the results. Still interested in what @SartodiNapoli has to offer though.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi SartodiNapoli

Really appreciate your feedback... seems like this Bivolino MTM shirt is a waste of money then.

You appear to know what you're talking about, and the trial test shirt does look good... how do I place an order with you if I give you my measurements? Do you have a website?

Thanks again!

@SartodiNapoli how nice to see some of your actual work! That test shirt looks very good already.
Though you often have a good point in your usual posts, all the rants and negative examples you post do become tedious. I understand that you're hesitant in posting your own work or in recommending tailors you appreciate, because you don't want to come across as a 'shill' (delightful word which Iearned from you, TBH). But I guess that most of your readers know that by now, and I really do believe that perhaps your own thread where you show us a bit more of your shirt making work and/or discuss tailoring work that you admire, would be appreciated by more than just a few of us.

Thanks, but see above what happens with some people who can´t handle the truth.

I have a thread about shirts that could not end, i think is my post number 2 on the forum. Thanks for remember, maybe i should update it, but i do not want to look as one who is looking for clients as per example the awful shirtmaker Burgos did ( just expossed yesterday on another thread) they even gave their email or used the Royal, as always, to hook people.

Cheers.

btw, I learnt the word shill on this forum, got to look on a dictionary for it´s meaning. lol

FitPursuit

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok, so I've received a replacement shirt at no cost from Bivolino. This time, I had to enter lots of measurements (shoulder, hips, length, biceps, arm, etc.), and this is the result (after washing & ironing):

Don't really think it's that much better than the first version. But hats off to Bivolino's customer service: there was no hassle at all for a remake, as well as a slight change in fabric.

Any feedback welcome, thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads