• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BitTorrent?

ghostdeini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's more about convenience imo. If you're messing around on those types of sites with any sort of frequency, you're going to end up with a pile of **** that you don't want on your pc. With a VM, you can just go back to a previous image and you avoid the hassle of having to "clean" your pc.

I think that's a bit of a misconception... this is my ratio on a private tracker:

Uploaded: 940.29 GB
Downloaded: 915.05 GB

as you can see, almost a terabyte both ways... from dvd-r, applications, operating systems, games, tv shows. not a single virus or spyware

if you're careful and are computer-savvy, that kind of crap is pretty easy to avoid

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between various clients, I've done about .6TB both ways. Never had a virus, trojan, or any other kind of problem. This stuff isn't magical. You can avoid it if you're even just mildly competent.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
This is what I do for a living

I know, it wasn't directed at you, more for the starbucks crowd on here.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wires might not stop people, but they will certainly slow them down. It's all about low hanging fruit. If you have an unsecured wireless network or just a WEP encrypted network, then you are an easy target. If you have WPA2 or purely wired network, then most people will pass you by. There are simply too many other easy targets.

Have you ever successfully cracked a WEP key outside of a lab? I tried it 2 years ago on some neighbors but they didn't generate enough traffic for the program I was using to be able to crack it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I do for a living

You steal passwords for a living?
confused.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Have you ever successfully cracked a WEP key outside of a lab? I tried it 2 years ago on some neighbors but they didn't generate enough traffic for the program I was using to be able to crack it.

Yes. In corporate environments cracking WEP or WPA isn't so hard. It's all just a matter of traffic. In big metro areas or densely populated residential areas (think apt. buildings or condos), its also not hard to come across one or two high traffic, non secured AP's in a given time.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
You steal passwords for a living?
confused.gif

It's one of the things. People pay a lot of money to find out what can be stolen from their networks.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's one of the things. People pay a lot of money to find out what can be stolen from their networks.

Glad to hear that you are using your superpowers for good, not evil. Keep up the good fight, Superhacker.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. In corporate environments cracking WEP or WPA isn't so hard. It's all just a matter of traffic. In big metro areas or densely populated residential areas (think apt. buildings or condos), its also not hard to come across one or two high traffic, non secured AP's in a given time.

I think I used airsnort back in the day for WEP, looks like there is one called coWPAtty for WPA, oh the names these |337 peeps come up with.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, if one is not seeding, how symmetric is the upload/download traffic? I don't think I'm allowing it to seed, but total traffic is like 45MB down, 16MB up, which seems upload heavy to me. PLus, with a bandwidth limit of 20.6 Kbps up, it's forever.

Is there a decent FAQ/explanation of all the terminology/background out there? Not a total luser but man, I need to know more.

Thanks,
Huntsman

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not symmetrical. With a fairly active torrent, you'll probably get full up and full down. Speed is basically the single thing bittorrent does well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't expect it to be 50/50, but if not seeding, I expected more like 90 down/ 10 up. Speed?! Speed?! I am getting like 3-18Kb/s. I realize it has to do with how many seeds and peers are out there, and also anti-me stuff, but sheesh that's slow.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads