• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bitter Melon

KenN

Reaction score
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to tasting new foods, but I just had a bitter melon stir fry dish at a busy Chinese restaurant and I can't understand the appeal behind this dish. I tried my best to enjoy this curious veggie, I tried to eat it slowly, I tried to combine it with the stir fry ingredients...

Why do people enjoy this dish so much? Is it a texture thing? Is it supposed to be a test of the chef's skill and creativity? Or is it just a bittersweet thing that is aimed to improve the (relative) taste of the next dish?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've learned that certain flavor profiles could be liked by anyone, but just through constant exposure, some cultures develop preferences. For example asian cuisine has some sour and salty components that are much less common in western styles. If people eat it, whether it's a fruit, a bug, or pretty much anything, then I try to assume that it's not only edible, but enjoyable, and if I have a problem with it then it's mine to deal with. Now sometimes it's just mental (bugs), but sometimes it's just a flavor I'm not used to and becuase it's so strong I am often repulsed (Durian, I want to like it but it's just too damn weird, but I see how if I had grown up eating it I'd probably like it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to tasting new foods, but I just had a bitter melon stir fry dish at a busy Chinese restaurant and I can't understand the appeal behind this dish. I tried my best to enjoy this curious veggie, I tried to eat it slowly, I tried to combine it with the stir fry ingredients...

Why do people enjoy this dish so much? Is it a texture thing? Is it supposed to be a test of the chef's skill and creativity? Or is it just a bittersweet thing that is aimed to improve the (relative) taste of the next dish?

Was it a Beef w-Bitter melon dish per chance?
I prefer it with beef. Why people like it, is probably just for a change once in awhile;
something to challenge the senses a little. An acquired taste for sure. I rather enjoy it.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time I had Goya it kinda grossed me out, too bitter. I had it prepared a few different ways and it kinda grows on you. You should try the golden variety, its not bitter, but sweet.

Godot

Reaction score
I've had it and can't stomach it. Some of my Asian friends love it but they also like chicken feet. Go figure.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that it is more a texture thing than a flavor thing. I've had it and didn't really enjoy it, either, but people I know do love it.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Was it a Beef w-Bitter melon dish per chance?
I prefer it with beef. Why people like it, is probably just for a change once in awhile;
something to challenge the senses a little. An acquired taste for sure. I rather enjoy it.

Yes it was a beef / bitter melon stir fry with douchi. And I think this is certainly an acquired taste, the flavor is very unexpected and intense. It reminds me of ginseng tea, although ginseng tea is comparatively mild and sort of soothing.

thinc

Reaction score
I used to hate this stuff when my mom used to prepare it while growing up. But now as an adult with a much evolved palate, I've come to love it. The way my mom prepares it is she would split it open and clean out all the seeds. Then stuff it with ground pork and cook it in a stock and make a soup out of it. This softens the bitterness a bit while at the same time imparting some of the bitterness into the broth. Good eats. http://holybasil.wordpress.com/2007/...er-melon-soup/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads