• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bit Torrent, etc on a Mac?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to set up some kind of filesharing software on a friend's Mac Mini.

Just painful.

Tried a couple of Bit Torrent utilities, including Tomato, simply could not figure out the interface. I click on a torrent, it downloads to a new window, then I have to drag it onto another new window, then onto the torrent software icon... awful, and never seems to get anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some straightforward filesharing software for Mac? You search for something, you click the file, it downloads, that's it.

It can be torrent-based or just regular peer-to-peer, so long as I don't have to jump through hoops or compile anything to get it working. One file, that I can download and install in one shot. And, ideally, one that doesn't require juggling a ratio or waiting in a queue.

Thanks guys!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of some straightforward filesharing software for Mac? You search for something, you click the file, it downloads, that's it.
This one's great: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ Just don't forget to open your router port 6881 (or set-up port forwarding for it)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about Mac, but Azureus for Windows sucks, java is slow and a rez hog. If I'm not mistaken, Mac has its own P2P network called hotfile or hotline or something, you might want to try there. I set up vanilla BT on my friend's Mac, it worked, but was slow as hell. Probably because he didn't forward his ports and I didn't feel like trying to guess his router password, which he forgot. Let me know if you find a good BT Mac client so I can give him a heads up though. Again, go ahead and try azureus, it might be better on Mac than Win, but I doubt it. Its day has passed. For Win, I like u-Torrent.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acquisition is simple to set up.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I don't know about Mac, but Azureus for Windows sucks, java is slow and a rez hog. If I'm not mistaken, Mac has its own P2P network called hotfile or hotline or something, you might want to try there. I set up vanilla BT on my friend's Mac, it worked, but was slow as hell. Probably because he didn't forward his ports and I didn't feel like trying to guess his router password, which he forgot. Let me know if you find a good BT Mac client so I can give him a heads up though. Again, go ahead and try azureus, it might be better on Mac than Win, but I doubt it. Its day has passed. For Win, I like u-Torrent.

I'm going to wager that it's the difference in OS, but Azureus for Mac works incredibly well. I've had 0 problems with it. I don't use it on my Win PC so I'm not really sure.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second for Acquisition. It supports everything. It's only $20 and by far the most Mac-like file sharing program out there. There are other programs, but the ones I've tried (never heard of Azureus)) look/feel like the kludgy ports they are. It's also a universal binary now, I think.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with Limewire in the end. Works like a charm.

Thanks, guys!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
Went with Limewire in the end. Works like a charm.

Thanks, guys!

Oh sure...listen to m@t more than the rest of us. Ungrateful bastard.
mad.gif

laugh.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'm going to wager that it's the difference in OS, but Azureus for Mac works incredibly well. I've had 0 problems with it. I don't use it on my Win PC so I'm not really sure.

It really is a sack of crap on Win. Eats memory like I drink Crown Royal. I use u-torrent now.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
It really is a sack of crap on Win. Eats memory like I drink Crown Royal. I use u-torrent now.

I tried using u-torrent on my WinPC and it's great. I can't wait for them to finish the Mac version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads