• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bison Grass Vodka

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so i read about it and was like hmm....
and then I got a bottle and was like I get it...
i tried it and was like i dont get it...
later i was like i get it...
but i realized i was drunk and didnt get it...
of course as a good racist term for people of Polish descent, i like this...
do i get it? how should i feel about this...
any uses other than apple juce?

i have a new favorite cocktail.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sounds like you've had a few, recently, like in the past few minutes.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
sounds like you've had a few, recently, like in the past few minutes.

dont judge. i honestly dont know what to think. cant turn my back on heritage. but at the same time seems to be tasty as ****. but it seems like it takes the easy way out to please. don't know.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
we still talking about liquor?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried a couple made-in-Poland vodkas that turned out an utter shyte.
One grain-based, the other potato-based. The latter was particularly awful.
Polish dill pickles are ridiculously awesome and blow the German stuff and NYC-style kosher pickles out of the water. (Though in fairness, a few times I did have seriously sick kosher pickles of molosol variety.)
As irony would have it, Polish sauerkraut tends to taste better than all the German ones I've tried.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That "Zubrovka" stuff has artificial flavors in it, no?

jmcconn

Reaction score
I will forever be greatfull to this fine Vodka. My father had a cellar full of it when I was a kid. I naturally took the opportunity to expand my burgeoning desire for capitalism to sell this to all of my highschool classmates. My God how they would puke. Cash in the pocket and embarassment for my classmates, fine times, fine times indeed!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the long blades of grass in the bottle. It's supposed to mellow the Vodka out a bit, and I guess it does, but you're too plowed to think about it after awhile.

p_b

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
I tried a couple made-in-Poland vodkas that turned out an utter shyte.
One grain-based, the other potato-based. The latter was particularly awful.
Polish dill pickles are ridiculously awesome and blow the German stuff and NYC-style kosher pickles out of the water. (Though in fairness, a few times I did have seriously sick kosher pickles of molosol variety.)
As irony would have it, Polish sauerkraut tends to taste better than all the German ones I've tried.

This is correct, Polish vodka doesn't taste good. But in Poland we say 'it shouldn't taste it should knock you about'. Drinking it is a part of tradition but one can always make it better by mixing a drink.

As far as dill pickles, it's kind of a speciality in here and I agree it's great in taste.
Also, generally speaking, original Polish cuisine has some really great stuff worth trying.

Originally Posted by HORNS

It does not. It's just mixed with some grass potion, as far as I know.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try "Palinka" vodka from Hungary. It is official vodka of VASSH.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
we still talking about liquor?

Yes.

No clue. Did have an odd, artificiall-y taste to it at times.

Originally Posted by willpower
I like the long blades of grass in the bottle. It's supposed to mellow the Vodka out a bit, and I guess it does, but you're too plowed to think about it after awhile.

Read that the grass doesn't do anything. Does look BAMF though.

Originally Posted by p_b
This is correct, Polish vodka doesn't taste good. But in Poland we say 'it shouldn't taste it should knock you about'. Drinking it is a part of tradition but one can always make it better by mixing a drink.

As far as dill pickles, it's kind of a speciality in here and I agree it's great in taste.
Also, generally speaking, original Polish cuisine has some really great stuff worth trying.

It does not. It's just mixed with some grass potion, as far as I know.

Are you a fellow racist term for people of Polish descent? Witamy!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

Żubrówka in the United States:

Because bison grass contains the toxic compound coumarin, which is prohibited as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administration, importing of Żubrówka into the United States was banned in 1978 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

When produced according to traditional methods (between one and two kilograms of grass per thousand litres of alcohol), Żubrówka contains approximately 12 milligrams of coumarin per litre. In 1999, Polish distilleries introduced reformulated U.S.-export versions of the product, sometimes using artificial flavours and colours, always with the emblematic blade of grass in every bottle, but "neutralised" and coumarin-free.
Too bad I didn't know it was just the U.S. version that was artificially flavored/colored, because I would have gotten some bottles abroad and tried them. I don't like the stuff sold here in the U.S.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

Too bad I didn't know it was just the U.S. version that was artificially flavored/colored, because I would have gotten some bottles abroad and tried them. I don't like the stuff sold here in the U.S.

Is that literally the only Zubrowka sold in the U.S.?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Palinka is NOT vodka. It's Palinka. That's like saying Grappa is vodka. hülye vagy!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Is that literally the only Zubrowka sold in the U.S.?

According to Wiki it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads