• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Birthday surprise in Chicago

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please give me some ideas for a nice birthday surprise for a woman in Chicago... doesn't have to be expensive. Taking her out to lunch... trying to think of something fun.

Thanks guys

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any higher end bakeries in Chicago like Bouchon/Kyotofu/Levain/Dessert Club like in NYC?

Might want to get her something personalized.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only fancy bakery stuff I know off-hand is wedding cake stuff... They make good baked goods at L'appetito, but it's not high end like Bouchon.

For a birthday lunch, I'd consider the signature room. Obviously this is for the view/atmosphere and not the food quality.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we really enjoyed the gospel breakfast at house of blues. been a few times.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Do something unusual - take her out to a picnic, out on a boat, or up on a rooftop. Weather permitting of course.

Please read the subject title.

Chicago is expected to get the most severe blizzard in the last 45 years. Even if it weren't the average temp is like 25 degrees.

A picnic certainly would be unusual.

From now on, please everyone give suggestions that involve decent food, that costs money, and would be in a heated establishment.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm re-upping my sig-room suggestion due to the blizzard. I think that would be cool as hell to see that view with all the snow falling.

Also - North Pond Cafe in Lincoln Park is a nice "off the beaten path" kind of place w/ good food. It's about a quarter mile north of L20.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I'm re-upping my sig-room suggestion due to the blizzard. I think that would be cool as hell to see that view with all the snow falling. Also - North Pond Cafe in Lincoln Park is a nice "off the beaten path" kind of place w/ good food. It's about a quarter mile north of L20.
I don't know... Signature room is just so cheesy. I wish it were...nicer. And the food is incredibly pedestrian. I was thinking maybe Balsan at the Elysian, but weekends are only Brunch... North Pond is a very cool idea.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't know... Signature room is just so cheesy. I wish it were...nicer. And the food is incredibly pedestrian. I was thinking maybe Balsan at the Elysian, but weekends are only Brunch... North Pond is a very cool idea.
I can't disagree - but cocktails at the sig room is still classier than taking the skydeck tour
the reason the food is so mediocre-minus is because it's not the real attraction.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I can't disagree - but cocktails at the sig room is still classier than taking the skydeck tour
the reason the food is so mediocre-minus is because it's not the real attraction.

That's true, and with clear skies it can be gorgeous.. but I'm pretty sure by noon on Saturday, downtown is going to be a brown mess.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Avec. It's family-style so you make decisions on what to order together and share the food. It's fun. Food is fantastic. Blackbird is next door.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
PM Kwilk. He's got a nice concert to go to

That's not for 10 days, sadly!

I say Les Nomades. Really cozy, nice room, incredible food. I wish I could be holed up at Les Nomades during this blizzard.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 142 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 71 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 35 8.2%