• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birthday Present - Galibier Super Touring

NormanF

Reaction score
I considered what to get for my birthday this month.

In the end, I went with Galibier Super Touring. They are a model of the famous Super Guide, more suited for urban walking and short hikes. They are made - all leather the old-fashioned way with Norwegian construction by Richard Pontvert's Paraboot company. Made in France.

I bought them from Kilibre-Outillage.com. I found David, the proprietor, helpful and polite. He gave me a reply before I bought them and I was impressed. That's not what usually stores do today and it in factored into my decision - I appreciate good customer service more than price. He speaks excellent English, so I can recommend his site in France to SF members without hesitation. The question is on the minds of people and yes, the site is in French. If you use Chrome browser, everything will be auto-translated and this is helpful in setting up an account. Orders can be placed by credit card and through Paypal. Anything ordered through the site can be shipped to the USA. While VAT is included in the order, it gets deducted for orders shipped outside France and the EU.

I hope these will be good lace-up boots, every bit worthy of Galibier's reputation for mountaineering footwear!

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I am going to get them next week. La Poste, the French post office, is sending them via its Colissimo tracking service! They were dropped off today, will be shipped tomorrow.

Its the French version of Japan's EMS. Packages sent from France are always identified with FR at the end of the 13 digit tracking number.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I finally picked up the boots today.

First impressions: the Internet pictures don't do them real justice. They are slim, stylish boots and the red laces are a lovely contrast to the thick brown leather.

The Khumbru sole is immediately comfortable but the stiff upper leather does take time to be broken in.

Its a hand-made boots with Norwegian double-stitched construction. The boot seams are protected by a resin that makes the boot waterproof. Unlike older Galibier boots, the marque is no longer stamped on the side of the boots.

The look of the boots remind me of the French boot brand Annapurna, sadly no longer made. Its a real treasure from Richard Pontvert's company.

In my opinion, if you seek to do hiking in rugged back country, the Super Guide will be a faithful companion. For walks in the city and hikes on trails and moderate terrain, the Super Touring as I have are up to the job.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads