• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birmingham Alabama - what's it like?

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I'm going to be spending a good chunk of the summer doing a research internship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

What's the city like? Is the university district nice? Is it safe? What sort of cultural things are there to do? What areas are nice? Is public transportation adequate for getting around the city? Is the urban area nice, or will I have to go to the 'burbs for decent food/culture/entertainment?

dave

Reaction score
full of rednecks.

summer is hot...and full of rednecks.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
full of rednecks.

summer is hot...and full of rednecks.

^have you ever been to birmingham, AL?

its not as bad as you think it would be, but the people there think its a "mini atlanta"

some nice bars, and some good looking women for sure!

im not saying its great, but its decent

DSG

dave

Reaction score
I have been there. I know, I generalize for the sake of scaring someone who has never been but i also know it's mostly true. I also HATE Atlanta so take that for what it's worth.

I have lived in the South (all over the south) for most of my life and wouldn't consider leaving it either. Once you get past the whole "Redneck Pride" thing, rednecks are generally really nice people.

tom288

Reaction score
There is a nice, upscale suburn, I think it was called Mountain Brook, outside of the city. I can't remember the name exactly, but you had a nice little shopping center with a Saks and some restaurants, all on top of a big hill. You also get into the hills/country areas which can be quite nice.

Someone might know what I'm talking about. I wasn't that big of a fan of downtown Birmingham, but the outskirts were nice.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the industry there - iron? steel?
confused.gif
There's a big statue....

Hot for sure (temp - don't know about ladies). Might be a dry town(?), and there are Baptists. You are in the deep south, so the spectre of Jim Crow's shadow lingers on all....

There's a very famous restaurant there.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
What is the industry there - iron? steel?
confused.gif
There's a big statue....

used to be steel anyway, not sure how much of that there is anymore

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
okay, so i was mistaken about the state mentioned... but I feel this Robert Indiana painting still applies:

272286t.jpg

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You are in the deep south, so the spectre of Jim Crow's shadow lingers on all....
This is bullshit. Have you ever been there? I have experienced far more racism in the last ten years in the North than in the "Deep South."

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the posts about rednecks and Jim Crow and all that is sort of bullshit.. I wouldn't pay a ton of attention to it. Are there rednecks in Alabama? Of course there are, but there are rednecks in Vermont and NY for f*ck's sakes.. The downtown part of Birmingham is slightly boring, you get the feeling like things close at 5 pm when the office workers go home.. There's not much in the way of shopping (but there used to be a Saks at the Summit), but there are some serious BBQ joints there.. Some of my favorites were Jim and Nick's (which is something of a chain, but still good), Dreamland (in Tuscaloser, but worth the drive), and Golden Rule. The UAB campus area is relatively safe, but its somewhat "remote" from downtown, and I am not terribly familiar with the nightlife or bars, but I was at one place, The Burly Earl, which is near UAB, for dozens and dozens of beers.. You might check it out..

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
This is bullshit. Have you ever been there?

I have experienced far more racism in the last ten years in the North than in the "Deep South."

Been to 'bama a few times, not Birmingham. In my lifetime, Jim Crow existed in the south - that's all I'm sayin....

Reaction score
as far as bars go i know of a few that are good

innisfree (irish pub), rare martini (moderately upscale bar), twist and shout (piano bar),fox and hound (sports bar), and the SOHO area has a few good bar and grills.

there are prob more that i dont know of but those are the ones i have had a few good times at

DSG

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Are there any must-see cultural attractions?

I dig US history - are there any interesting museums or historical sites?

coachvu

Reaction score
Well, it was certainly an important area in the Civil Rights movement. I imagine there are some museums or monuments dealing with that.

Also, I'm sure there will be plenty to do. It's not New York, but it is one of the best hospitals in the country, and it's a major research institute. There are plenty of students, which means there are going to be at least a handful of bars and restaurants that you'll enjoy. Just ask your colleagues for some suggestions when you get there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics