• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birkenstocks are cool again - discuss

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anything that creates vulnerability for your toes is not cool. The only safe place to wear sandals is on the beach or around a pool.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are a number of birkenstocks models that look good (ramses, boston, zurich, athen (?)) that works very well for casual (what else) activites. I love my birkenstock ramses for those warm summer days, while my leather bostons now functions as indoor shoes at work.

And of course, as with all things how it looks depend on how you wear them, e.g. if you wear them with ****, they´ll look ******.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
The two biggest workwear dudes on the forum agreeing on birks because their style is heavily inspired by japanese fashion mags that say they're cool despite their corneas registering them otherwise?

Who would have ever guessed.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
will this mean, teva sandals will also be cool soon????

00dc2428-e801-49c4-8772-bb671ed5291a.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
The two biggest workwear dudes on the forum agreeing on birks because their style is heavily inspired by japanese fashion mags that say they're cool despite their corneas registering them otherwise? Who would have ever guessed.
Another interpretation is that the "workwear dudes" have been exposed to birks in other contexts (i.e. japanese styling) than the fashion dudes, and therefore are able to view them as something else that dirty hippy pleb wear. And on a serious note, there are several birks that I find more aesthetically pleaseant than those lavin and RO sneakers that the fashion dudes have fooled themself into liking, despite screams of agony from the visual cortex.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont mean to be racist but here in toronto its mostly hipsters and jewish girls wearing them.

usually they are paired up with ugly wool socks.

bakatora

Reaction score
i think birkenstocks are better than the lazy asian dudes infesting my school that walk around in bball shorts, baggy t-shirt and nike/adidas black slip on sandals with their toes hanging over the edge.

JO3B

Reaction score
Jet, while granted I have seen them on japanese sites (mostly loftman dudes wear them) my love for them stems from when I was in italy and this one dude at the bar wore them. Since then I have needed them in my life. Are they the pinnacle of fashion? Obviously not. But despite their claimed comfort which I've never experienced first hand I like them for how they look, as surprising as that might sound. And its only bostons. I know bobo has open toed pairs but I would never be caught dead in a pair of open toed anythings.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i honestly dont see what the big issue about men in sandals and toes is. Anyway, get Bostons
smile.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
i honestly dont see what the big issue about men in sandals and toes is. Anyway, get Bostons
smile.gif

The issue is that your toes are exposed. City streets have trash and filth, not to mention stuff that can fall or trample or at the very least stub. Outdoors in nature has bugs that sting and snakes that bite.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
I wear my birks in the shop. I feel good and my toes are comfortable. And I have ugly toes. But I don't care. Yesterday I wore my superga(y)s. They looked cool but my feet were not. So I'm back in my birks today.
Being in Germany, I think you get a pass. Were I a dude living in a partially rehabbed Victorian with an overgrown yard I preferred to consider an English garden, the first thing I'd do is paint the porch ceiling sky blue. Then I'd buy some birkenstocks. Then maybe put my 96 Degrees in the Shade LP on. Then I'd start planting some green zebras and big boys, and maybe a discreet patch of private stock behind the shed. It would be nice.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
I wear my birks in the shop. I feel good and my toes are comfortable. And I have ugly toes. But I don't care. Yesterday I wore my superga(y)s. They looked cool but my feet were not. So I'm back in my birks today.

What kind of shop? Often there are OSHA requirements that prohibit open-toed footwear in the workplace.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora
i think birkenstocks are better than the lazy asian dudes infesting my school that walk around in bball shorts, baggy t-shirt and nike/adidas black slip on sandals with their toes hanging over the edge.

Those may be the only things to which birkenstocks are superior. It's the same grimy aestetic, but at least the Birks are a high-quality product. I use birkenstock arch supports in a lot of my shoes, and can attest to the fact that they make good ****.

TheDroog

Reaction score
During my first week in college way back in the day, someone in my dorm explained that the two best sandals to have in college were either this ...

00dc2428-e801-49c4-8772-bb671ed5291a.jpg

or this ...

Birkenstocks.jpg

College is awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads