• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birkenstock

SJX

Reaction score
More than once I've seen Birkenstocks described as the most comfortable sandals in the world; do they live up to that? Any alternatives available?

Thank you.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, they are just as ugly as everyone says they are.
biggrin.gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are comfortable for people whose feet the soles 'fit'. I have very flat feet with little arch and I have a pair- I wear them occasionally but for me they're not very comfortable after a couple of hours.

Mike

Reaction score
More than once I've seen Birkenstocks described as the most comfortable sandals in the world; do they live up to that? Any alternatives available? Thank you.
Go find the most hippy person you can find. More than likely they'll be wearing a Phish shirt or an old Grateful Dead tour shirt. Guarentee they'll be wearing Birkenstock sandles, even if its cold outside, although then they may have swiched to the Birkenstock clogs. Ask them.
laugh.gif
All joking aside, I think they are really ugly. They may be comfortable, I don't know. I'm not a fan. Just my 2 cents

benchan

Reaction score
I would not say they are necessary ugly.....some people can pull it off. Some colourful Birkenstocks' sandals are worn by teenage gals in the summer, and they look good with the right outfit.

For alternatives, I think sandals from swoosh and the three stripes etc are just as good. Some models have anatomical footbed jsut like the Birkenstocks.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Injection-molded plastic sandals aren't just as good, unless you're talking about being waterproof. Â The cork footbed molds to your feet, after some admittedly uncomfortable break-in time. Â After that though, if you take care of them and get them resoled, they can last just as long as any shoes anyone on this board talks about. Proper wear? Â With linen in the summer, or with anything if you're still in college. I'm not the least hippy person you've never met, but I'm pretty damn close. edit--I haven't bought a pair in a few years, ie since the Deutschmark was still around. Then, ordering from Germany cut the price in half, even after shipping. Try hawea, they still send me Christmas cards 4 years later. Nice folks. Tom

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Birks are great, comfortable shoes. I have flat feet, and found their shoes to be very supportive. And their resoling program is very good, but given the inherent nature of cork, I disagree that Birks can last a lifetime.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Naot sandals from Israel. They're built like the Birks but come in much better looking styles. The best place to buy them is the kibbutz but they're not too expensive in the US.

sashae

Reaction score
I'm wearing my Birkenstock Boston clogs right now... great for around the house, although I rarely wear them out. Incredibly comfortable, though.

-s

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Like a previous reply noted, if you have flat feet, Birenstocks may not be for you. I found Mephisto sandals considerably more comfortable for my flat feet.

NormanF

Reaction score
More than once I've seen Birkenstocks described as the most comfortable sandals in the world; do they live up to that? Any alternatives available? Thank you.

My Milano backstrap sandals are very comfortable. Once you slip into them, you'll wonder why you missed them. Naot makes similar sandals, some with removable cork and latex insoles like my Lappland. Ohhh... sheer bliss. For people who prefer style over function, comfort footwear gets ridiculed. But when you have to stand on your feet or walk all day, they make a difference.

NormanF

Reaction score
I think Birks are great, comfortable shoes. I have flat feet, and found their shoes to be very supportive. And their resoling program is very good, but given the inherent nature of cork, I disagree that Birks can last a lifetime.

You can get the cork outer edge sealed over with a leather trim. This will eliminate cork maintainance and drying out and keep them lasting longer. Then all you have to do is replace the liner and heel sections as they wear down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads