• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birdwell 301 or 303?

changy

Reaction score
Thoughts? I'm 178, 65kg.

PS. They are also updating their website, probably tired of all the ridicule on internet forums.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two points:

1) Their stuff is really high waisted. Listen to their advice about fitting.
2) Why does anyone need to know about your leg hair?

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Two points:

1) Their stuff is really high waisted. Listen to their advice about fitting.
2) Why does anyone need to know about your leg hair?

1) I know im suppose to go 2 sizes up with the waist. So they dont sit at the hips?
2) Fixed

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the web site was super cool and not nearly as difficult to navigate as people joked. It was kind of refreshing. You specify exactly what you want, with very little room for error. Evelyn responds within 24 hours confirming your order and the specifics. Anything they have in stock gets shipped out ASAP and anything they need to build is done lighting fast.

The Birdwell factory would be an awesome visit for all plaid out I'd bet.

size up two sizes in the waist, as they clearly state on the site.

the traditional birdies are short shorts. Even the board shorts are short shorts. If you want modern kind of board shorts that go to your knee get the longest available inseam. Otherwise your nutz'll'be hangin out yo.

I've got a lot of birdies over the years. If anyone is considering a custom rain coast let me know.

Pangolin

Reaction score
The 301 are better.
As far as the website is concerned, Evelyn, who used to maintain the website, has been fired by her brothers and since they can't use what she wrote, they probably updated it.
She posted a few logs on the site in the past weeks explaining the situation about the brand, which seemed to go through some pretty drastic changes.

changy

Reaction score
That's unfortunate, what happened?

Also, since there's no mesh, whats the appropriate way to wear these? Commando or TYR?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
That's unfortunate, what happened? Also, since there's no mesh, whats the appropriate way to wear these? Commando or TYR?
commando all the way, buddy. Unless you get the real short birdies and you're worried about your hrum draping down the side of the leg. birdies moves manufacturing south of the border to mexico. ships all dead stock fabrics to said location. Birdwell goes out of business. South Willard and JCrew buy anything desirable left on the shelves and marks up 400%.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
sorry to hit up such an old thread
Looking for a new pair of Birdwells......Wanting something a bit shorter (305s)
Have they really moved production to mexico?
Was this facetious?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads