• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bioshock

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I think co-op would pretty much ruin the game.

I haven't played Bioshock, but I was hazarding a guess that it would be at least as fun as SS2 in Co-op, which was still good.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Argh, I'm trying to resist buying this. I don't think the DRM is that bad in this case, and my buddy who is a CS:S developer tells me Steam is fixing to change for the better. However, i'm feeling better about not having a DX10 Card:

http://sheogorad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15

The Digg effect might have taken place by the time you read this, and just letting you know that it is screens from Bioshock with DX10 and DX9 side by side, and there is almost no difference. Maybe a few particle effects, but other than that it looks just as good on both cards.

WSW

Reaction score
It is pretty bad, the copy protection. You have to be connected to the internet both when you install the game and uninstall it, and if you forget, tough luck, no more installs for you. Of course, you can wait half an hour to speak to an Indian customer rep who may or may not understand you. And if I'm reading what others are saying on their forum correctly, if you change your system specs, you will have to reinstall the game. So if you decide to upgrade your memory, change motherboard, etc., you have to go through the whole damn process. I'd rather not pay $50 to jump through hoops just to play a damn game.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played the 360 version today for a couple hours at a friend's place. It was insane. I'll definitely be picking up the PC version but I do hope they fix the DRM.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I haven't played Bioshock, but I was hazarding a guess that it would be at least as fun as SS2 in Co-op, which was still good.

I see where you're coming from there. That was one of the greatest co-op experiences (actually, I can't think of anything better) ever. However, this is a completely different beast. You need to play it.
smile.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
What the hell would possess anyone to think that Bioshock looks like a multiplayer game? This is like complaining that Jane Eyre would have been better if it had TDM and maybe some vehicles like BF2 and shut up.
Take it easy, it's an FPS and FPSes usually have MP. And Jane Eyre would have been better with vehicles. Anyway, I just got the game for PC, and I am running it perfectly with maxed graphics on: Intel Dual core 2.66 GHz GeForce 8800gts 320 MB 2 GB DDR 800 DX9 At 1280x720

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Take it easy, it's an FPS and FPSes usually have MP. And Jane Eyre would have been better with vehicles.

Anyway, I just got the game for PC, and I am running it perfectly with maxed graphics on:

Intel Dual core 2.66 GHz
GeForce 8800gts 320 MB
2 GB DDR 800
DX9

At 1280x720

Awesome. Looks like I'll be able to run it close to par. Did you get the Steam or boxed copy?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boxed. I was actually planning on getting the 360 version seeing as how I don't even have a desk for my computer at my new apartment, but it was sold out. So now I'm playing the PC version with the 360 controller while sitting on the floor.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Boxed. I was actually planning on getting the 360 version seeing as how I don't even have a desk for my computer at my new apartment, but it was sold out. So now I'm playing the PC version with the 360 controller while sitting on the floor.

*head explodes*

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh. Wouldn't you prefer a mouse and keyboard setup over the controller though? I understand that not having a desk could complicate things.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been waiting for this game for so long, and am kind of sad to hear about all the DRM crap. However, that kind of thing can be done in a reasonably unobtrusive way - Photoshop CS3 has it and it seems to work pretty well. You have to connect to uninstall a copy and then it will activate on another computer, etc.

Anyway, I'll probably get it soon and disappear for a week or so.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Anyway, I'll probably get it soon and disappear for a week or so.
Wooooo, party time!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Anyhow.. I know I said I wouldn't get it yet... but I just bought it and am installing it now.

I had to go to 3 Gamestops to get it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
IMO the reason NOT to buy the PC version is because the DRM is by SecuRom, the DEVIL of DRM. They strongarm developers into using their DRM, and if they refuse to they post up links to downloadable pirated versions of their software. Here's a really good Anti-DRM article written by a software developer: http://forums.galciv2.com/index.aspx...aid=106741&c=1
We realize that some people or companies might feel threatened at any evidence that implies that draconian DRM schemes or CD copy protection may not make that big of a difference in sales. For example, we were quite disturbed to discover that the company that makes Starforce provided a working URL to a list of pirated GalCiv II torrents. I'm not sure whether what they did was illegal or not, but it's troubling nevertheless and was totally unnecessary. All software is pirated, there's no way around it. We've been making software for over 10 years. We don't like our software being pirated. Like I said, every lost sales has an impact on us. But there are other ways to reduce it than through draconian copy protection systems. Incidentally, the site that Starforce's forum admin linked to "prove" how much our software was being pirated we visited, followed the instructions on the site to get our game removed and the links were removed within a couple of hours. We'll continue to follow-up with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads