• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biographies of fashion designers

david-bowie

Reaction score
Hello spaceboys! I want to announce you that you can find biographies of fashion designers here: Biographies of fashion designers Currently, you can read about 30 biographies.. Also, you can read history of fashion brands here: Fashion brands List of designers and brands is not complete... I hope this information can be useful...and I hope this is not "spam"...it's not my intention.. If you have some suggestions about biographies - tell it! Sorry for bad english...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
err... what's a "spaceboy"?

david-bowie

Reaction score
Synonym for advanced players
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The choice of fashion brands highlighted is a bit odd... the usual players Gucci, Prada, and then ROCAWEAR? I'm reminded of the Sesame Street song, "one of these is not like the others."

Anyway, acidicboy, I don't know what a "spaceboy" is either but Bowie-speak is an entirely different language (my favorite Bowie line is "We don't dance, we don't talk much, we just ball and play; and slide around like tigers on vaseline.")

david-bowie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The choice of fashion brands highlighted is a bit odd... the usual players Gucci, Prada, and then ROCAWEAR? I'm reminded of the Sesame Street song, "one of these is not like the others."

Anyway, acidicboy, I don't know what a "spaceboy" is either but Bowie-speak is an entirely different language (my favorite Bowie line is "We don't dance, we don't talk much, we just ball and play; and slide around like tigers on vaseline.")

You're partially right, but again - the fact is that Gucci, Prada & Rocawear are brands, just like FCUK or Custo Barcelona... Prada is Brand, Miuccia Prada is designer... I don't like Rocawear, but....

I'll try to sort brands in future, this is only experimental for now...

Thanks for post anyway

P.S. Can someone teach me english
smile.gif
?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be honest, it looks like something you've obviously spent a lot of time on, but the info there really isn't anything that can't be gotten elsewhere more easily and in-depth. I realize that over time you will probably add more stuff, but right now you only have a very few brands and such listed and the history/info you give about them is about the same as any basic web search will give.

You may want to look for a new "angle" or something different to entice people to come to your site. Just general info about designers and such isn't really necessary... there are thousands of those sites out there. Try to bring something unique to the table and you might have something there.

Again, not critiques, per se, but suggestions. With any project that requires a lot of time and creativity (from writing a book to making a movie to doing a website), you have to ask yourself what it is about your site that would make people want to spend the time reading it?

david-bowie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
To be honest, it looks like something you've obviously spent a lot of time on, but the info there really isn't anything that can't be gotten elsewhere more easily and in-depth. I realize that over time you will probably add more stuff, but right now you only have a very few brands and such listed and the history/info you give about them is about the same as any basic web search will give. You may want to look for a new "angle" or something different to entice people to come to your site. Just general info about designers and such isn't really necessary... there are thousands of those sites out there. Try to bring something unique to the table and you might have something there. Again, not critiques, per se, but suggestions. With any project that requires a lot of time and creativity (from writing a book to making a movie to doing a website), you have to ask yourself what it is about your site that would make people want to spend the time reading it?
Final target is to have page about every brand/designer, which will include history/biography, the most interesting interviews, information about company business, creative profile of collections and more. I know it's already seen, but believe me - there's no too many websites with complete designers/brands profile at one place. I know - the most important thing is to include "new 'angle'", but it requires time and sources... For example - my english is bad, I'm not so arrogant to try to write own review of Yohji Yamamoto's collections or G-sus brands' profile. But I hope I'll find some good sources in the future... Thanks a lot..

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david-bowie
Final target is to have page about every brand/designer, which will include history/biography, the most interesting interviews, information about company business, creative profile of collections and more. I know it's already seen, but believe me - there's no too many websites with complete designers/brands profile at one place. I know - the most important thing is to include "new 'angle'", but it requires time and sources...
For example - my english is bad, I'm not so arrogant to try to write own review of Yohji Yamamoto's collections or G-sus brands' profile. But I hope I'll find some good sources in the future...
Thanks a lot..

If English isn't your native language, this project (while very ambitious) is going to be almost impossibly difficult unless you have a huge number of collaborators or a giant bankroll. As well, you mention "sources," but be careful if you are lifting content from another site as that could get you into trouble.

What draws fashion fans or critics to view a certain site would be the quality of its content, much of which is based around the writing and the way a person writes. Having English full of errors or written in a less than professional setting will also limit your viewers, regardless of how many "entries" you have.

Again, these are just suggestions, but I'd say that if English isn't your strong point, then having a website with more multimedia/interactive/illustrative format will be better than the text format that it has now.

I'll admit that I'm pickier than most (I'm an English teacher), but even in general your "authority" of a subject is directly related to the way in which you speak about it. You might know EVERYTHING about Yohji, but if that doesn't come across clearly or effectively, your audience will be more limited.

Good luck, Bowie...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just curious, david bowie- what is your language/nationality?

Spudbunny

Reaction score
But I hope I'll find some good sources in the future...

Try this.

\t

Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion. Valerie Steele, Ed. 1 ed. Detroit: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2005. 1454 pp. 3 vols.
\t

ISBN: 0-684-31394-4
eBook ISBN: 0-684-31451-7
Subject Category: History
LC Subject(s): Clothing and dress--History--Encyclopedias.

Brief Description: This broad-based set surveys clothing, body adornment, and examines the origins of clothing, the development of fabrics and technologies, and the social meanings of dress. It also presents information on representative costumes from a wide variety of historical eras, which are frequently the topic of student research. Topics range from the bustle, sari, and toga to Polyester and body piercing. The short entries explain the history of garments (necktie, codpiece, cocktail dress, bathing suit, burqua, Nehru jacket), techniques and manufactures (batik, dry cleaning, zipper, stone washing), body adornment (makeup, mask, tattoo, wig), and important persons and institutions (Coco Chanel, Edith Head, Yves Saint-Laurent, Fashion Institute of Technology). The longer essays provide cultural context: class, gender, sumptuary laws, costume design for stage and screen, advertising; fashion careers; ecclesiastical dress; military uniforms; etc. The set includes a comprehensive general index in the last volume, a timeline, and a topical outline.

david-bowie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spudbunny
Try this.

\t

Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion. Valerie Steele, Ed. 1 ed. Detroit: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2005. 1454 pp. 3 vols.
\t

ISBN: 0-684-31394-4
eBook ISBN: 0-684-31451-7
Subject Category: History
LC Subject(s): Clothing and dress--History--Encyclopedias.

Brief Description: This broad-based set surveys clothing, body adornment, and examines the origins of clothing, the development of fabrics and technologies, and the social meanings of dress. It also presents information on representative costumes from a wide variety of historical eras, which are frequently the topic of student research. Topics range from the bustle, sari, and toga to Polyester and body piercing. The short entries explain the history of garments (necktie, codpiece, cocktail dress, bathing suit, burqua, Nehru jacket), techniques and manufactures (batik, dry cleaning, zipper, stone washing), body adornment (makeup, mask, tattoo, wig), and important persons and institutions (Coco Chanel, Edith Head, Yves Saint-Laurent, Fashion Institute of Technology). The longer essays provide cultural context: class, gender, sumptuary laws, costume design for stage and screen, advertising; fashion careers; ecclesiastical dress; military uniforms; etc. The set includes a comprehensive general index in the last volume, a timeline, and a topical outline.

Thanks for info!
I certainly planned to order this book, but I'm not sure about publishing it on website (copyright, etc..)... On the other hand, I know website will have problems with copyright only if reach really huge traffic...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
just curious, david bowie- what is your language/nationality?

Croatian language / Croatian nationality....
Why?

Just curious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads