• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Binoculars etc for opera, theater viewing

mikeway2000

Reaction score
I couldn't think of a better place for the question, and I figure no harm in throwing it out there. I'm an opera fan living in NYC on a rather limited budget, so I frequent Met's Family Circle. I decided to get myself a nice set of binoculars to enhance my viewing experience (won't be watching birds or anything like that since I'm an indoorsy type). I was about to shell out $100 on a compact 6.5x Pentax binoculars, but then I read somewhere that opera glasses are usually 3x-5x. I can't seem to find decent binoculars less than 5x. Has anyone used 6.5x or above for theater-viewing, and would you recommend it?

Hans

Reaction score
I use these compact Leica binoculars, which are far better than regular opera glasses:

http://us.leica-camera.com/nature_ob...ltravid_20_bl/

They are great for the opera and the theatre, and I have also found them to be an excellent way of looking at frescoes in Italy. They are more expensive than the Pentax you were considering, but also *much* nicer.

mikeway2000

Reaction score
That's some serious binoculars! I'm not ready to drop $700 for the sole purpose of theater-going, but what I gather from your recommendation seems to be that it's fine to use a higher-powered binoculars for opera and theater. I'm asking this because I had read that with higher-powered binoculars, your field of view may not cover the whole stage and your hands will have to be super steady.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to B&H. I have a small pair--maybe Nikon, I can't remember--which were at most $25. They did a good job steering me to the pair I picked. They work perfectly fine from where I sit in the family circle, row D or something like that.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is, the greater the magnification the smaller the filed of view, though the greater the number after the "x" in binocular specifications, the greater the field o view, when compared to other binos at the same magnification. I don't believe most higher end optic manufacturers make a model dedicated theater patrons. I think anything up to 10x magnification is a good choice for hand holding. I've used my Zeiss 10x25 at the theater for a few minutes at a time. I guess, if you plan to look through the binoculars during the whole performance you may wish to go with a 7x or 8x magnification.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeway2000
I couldn't think of a better place for the question, and I figure no harm in throwing it out there. I'm an opera fan living in NYC on a rather limited budget, so I frequent Met's Family Circle. I decided to get myself a nice set of binoculars to enhance my viewing experience (won't be watching birds or anything like that since I'm an indoorsy type). I was about to shell out $100 on a compact 6.5x Pentax binoculars, but then I read somewhere that opera glasses are usually 3x-5x. I can't seem to find decent binoculars less than 5x. Has anyone used 6.5x or above for theater-viewing, and would you recommend it?

Bless you, really. It is people like you who will keep high culture alive in America.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads