• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Binary Poll What do you like more RLBL or RLPL

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you like Black Label or Purple Label more?
This is a binary poll so you have to pick one.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it depends on the category. and which caruso or st andrews is the designer (more so for rlpl)

for suits i like st andrews rlpl
for blazers i like rlbl or rlpl caruso
for pants/trousers i like both.
polos and sweaters i like rlbl
and shirts rlbl as well.
ties i like rlpl usually

st andrews rlpl usually portrays a more refined and gentlemanly silhouettes and aesthetics to suits which is very good for me and more diplomatic looking
rlbl is better at a stronger sharp silhouette, sexier, definitely slimmer.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
it depends on the category. and which caruso or st andrews is the designer (more so for rlpl)

for suits i like st andrews rlpl
for blazers i like rlbl or rlpl caruso
for pants/trousers i like both.
polos and sweaters i like rlbl
and shirts rlbl as well.
ties i like rlpl usually

st andrews rlpl usually portrays a more refined and gentlemanly silhouettes and aesthetics to suits which is very good for me and more diplomatic looking
rlbl is better at a stronger sharp silhouette, sexier, definitely slimmer.

sho'nuff the poll is binary! You have to pick one.
smile.gif

You really like purple label ties? They always seem to be too wide 3.75"+.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
purple label, hands down-- superior quality, fit, and a moderate cut in both jacket and trouser. I am not a big guy, but the black label jacket was so tight on my biceps I couldn't do more than peel it off and put it back on the rack-- can only imagine how narrow the trousers would be on me.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do like the fit of RLBL (and it does fit me), but quality wise PL is a clear, discernible step up

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric used on the PL line is far superior to the stuff used on Ralphie's other lines.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
purple label, hands down-- superior quality, fit, and a moderate cut in both jacket and trouser. I am not a big guy, but the black label jacket was so tight on my biceps I couldn't do more than peel it off and put it back on the rack-- can only imagine how narrow the trousers would be on me.

+1

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PL by a wide margin,no doubt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer PL since I'm not a fan of BL. I like RL a lot.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Label, only because the cut of their suits is the best I've found OTR. But Purple Label is clearly of a better quality, not that BL isn't excellent. The few Caruso made PL items I have are pretty spectacular though, and fit like BL to me.

For shirts I don't consider BL to fit much better than PL, I would much prefer a PL and add the necessary alterations. The construction, fabric and collars are quite a step up in PL IMO.

Ties.. BL are nice, but PL tie one of the nicest FIH ever.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Definitely PL. I have 9 RLPL suits and sportcoats (+4 trousers) and 3 RLBL suits. Both fit great OTR, comparable to my bespoke clothing. That aside, I just have a feeling that my RLBL stuff will look dated about 3 years or so from now. My RLPL stuff, I'll be wearing it 20 years from today, assuming I can stay in shape.

Hoya

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In terms of tailored clothing, I ought to like BL -- what with the '60s vibe -- but I don't like how it looks on me and don't think it flatters many guys. It's one of the more consistently ill-fitting lines out there.

I'd take some of the blue label models over either PL or BL.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I have very little experience from both, only have 1 BL item and 2 PL items. The quality on those PL items seems to be simply excellent, and I love the very color of purple, so that's my vote.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads