• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billy Reid "cordovan" briefcase

MALTLIQUOR

Reaction score
Searching I see that these guys have been a bit loose with the word 'cordovan' over the years. They're accepting pre-orders on their site now for a $295 briefcase "made in Tennessee from hand-cut horween [sic] cordovan leather." The pictures suggest fairly thin/flimsy stock, and the Volunteers didn't overstyle the thing, but anybody have any experience with their bags and/or items they've represented as Horweeen?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I suspect when they say "cordovan leather" they mean cordovan the color, not horse ass. Horween does a lot more than just shell.
I don't have any experience with those bags, but in general I've been pleased with the quality of Billy Reid stuff.

lhuynh

Reaction score

I suspect when they say "cordovan leather" they mean cordovan the color, not horse ass. Horween does a lot more than just shell.
I don't have any experience with those bags, but in general I've been pleased with the quality of Billy Reid stuff.

It's awful misleading if that's the case. I read it clearly as implying that it's shell cordovan vs just the color.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Unbelievably misleading.
You can tell form the photos that is regular, good quality, leather.

A bag that size made from real horse ass would run about $5,000

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Look rather cheaply made to me. I have had leather goods made with those rivets before ( utilitarian ). They have sharp ends ( the nipples ), not smooth, and I can see them pulling a pill or runner in a suit jacket or pant, when rubbing against.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rgweiser53

Reaction score
I like the design of BR stuff, but I've found the quality to be really subpar on more than one occasion

Taka

Reaction score
There's a difference between cordovan
and shell cordovan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads