1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Billy Reid "cordovan" briefcase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MALTLIQUOR, Dec 13, 2012.

1. MALTLIQUOR

MALTLIQUOR Member

Searching I see that these guys have been a bit loose with the word 'cordovan' over the years. They're accepting pre-orders on their site now for a $295 briefcase "made in Tennessee from hand-cut horween [sic] cordovan leather." The pictures suggest fairly thin/flimsy stock, and the Volunteers didn't overstyle the thing, but anybody have any experience with their bags and/or items they've represented as Horweeen?

2. rgweiser53

rgweiser53 Well-Known Member

Interesting questions -- I've heard the same...

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I suspect when they say "cordovan leather" they mean cordovan the color, not horse ass. Horween does a lot more than just shell.
    I don't have any experience with those bags, but in general I've been pleased with the quality of Billy Reid stuff.

4. lhuynh

lhuynh Senior member

It's awful misleading if that's the case. I read it clearly as implying that it's shell cordovan vs just the color.

5. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Unbelievably misleading.
    You can tell form the photos that is regular, good quality, leather.

A bag that size made from real horse ass would run about $5,000

6. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

Look rather cheaply made to me. I have had leather goods made with those rivets before ( utilitarian ). They have sharp ends ( the nipples ), not smooth, and I can see them pulling a pill or runner in a suit jacket or pant, when rubbing against.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

8. rgweiser53

rgweiser53 Well-Known Member

I like the design of BR stuff, but I've found the quality to be really subpar on more than one occasion

9. Taka

Taka Member

There's a difference between cordovan
    and shell cordovan