• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billion dollar home

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yeah. I don't really care what this guy buys. But it's not like it's money wisely spent, either morally or economically.

So do you think the same of money generated by the arts?

ad_infinitum

Reaction score
Good thread. What about just pure luxury? Everyone who has more than enough 'wastes' their money on something 'dumb'. This guy just has way more than enough; does his obligation to better the society increases with the amount of money or power he has? Proportionaly? This kind of brings us to what should a billionare donate type of question.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
So do you think the same of money generated by the arts?

That's a really really wide window. Give me a couple specific examples.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
Everyone who has more than enough 'wastes' their money on something 'dumb'.
That describes most -- if not everyone -- at Style Forum.

Well ... the "'wastes' their money on something 'dumb'" part does.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yeah. I don't really care what this guy buys. But it's not like it's money wisely spent, either morally or economically.

Morally?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Morally?
What else would it be? It's certainly not unethical to build a billion dollar home, as there is really no legal or moral line to be drawn to distinguish between frugality from excess. The house itself didn't come at the expense of anyone so it cannot be unethical to fail to fulfill economic or charitable obligations he didn't have. But assuming the owner is not a moron, he's likely aware of the extent to which his billion dollars could have benefited others in different scenarios. By choosing this one, in which people consume their hours to provide a means for his domestic satisfaction which offers no byproduct or service in return that society can make use of, his decision isn't morally optimal. Similarly, if you came across some hungry orphans on the street and decided to spend $1000 to feed them, would buying caviar and truffles really be righteous, given so many obviously superior options? Wouldn't another person's $50 donation of bread and milk be morally superior? It's hard to pretend a person giving away caviar is really a much of a benefactor, when you realize the decision was motivated by the size of the donation he wanted to be seen making rather than the extent of the good it could do.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I thought he died fighting the Zerg.
That part was so sad.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
220px-Mukesh_Ambani.jpg

BryanHarig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
220px-Mukesh_Ambani.jpg

One reason this horrible, gaudy monstrosity of a palace (this isnt a house) is so interesting is the insecurity it shows. You can almost hear the ugly bastard desperately crying out for attention and validation every time you look at it. It is like the Russian tycoons and Gulf Arabs building larger and larger mega yachts in a vain attempt at superiority. It is a perfect example of trying too hard, a complete lack of taste and too damn much money all rolled into one ugly train wreck.

I think that most people who post here like to think that they have a little more class and style then this and that if we were successful enough to be in a position to spend this much on a house we would do so in a 'better' way. I know I do.
wink.gif

Not to mention the moral implications of spending this much on a palace. While there will be a trickle of money passed down through the construction workers and domestic staff and other service economy types imagine how much more real long term wealth could be created by Ambani directly funding entrepreneurs and helping to combat malnutrition and the lack of access to education with even a fraction of what was spent on this palace.

I love luxury and consumption as much as anyone here, but at a certain point I think I would have a hard time with the idea that I choose to have a 9 floor palace instead of a 7 floor one and the difference in price could have fed and educated say, 1000 bright, promising kids from elementary school to college. This palace just feels too much like masturbation to me, I like to think that there would be more satisfying ways to spend the same amount of wealth.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's morally obligated to be less tacky with his design.

If I spend a billion dollar on a home, I'd hope it didn't end up looking like a hotel in Sharm a Sheikh.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys are starting to sound like jealous bitches.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
:yawn: I don't recall anyone saying he couldn't.
No, but I mean that the comments are hinting at the idea that this guy lacks class as a 3rd world nouveau riche and we know so much better than him on how to spend his money with classical approval.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads