• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Simmons "The Book of Basketball"

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here read it. I'm finishing up now, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. His homerism is as blatant as ever, but at least it only worked one way. He overvalued a few celts, but didnt' let his Laker hatred affect his evaluation of some of their greats.

My one gripe has to do with his assessment of Wilt Chamberlain. It's almost as if he felt that he had to tear Wilt down to elevate Russel.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Has anyone here read it. I'm finishing up now, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. His homerism is as blatant as ever, but at least it only worked one way. He overvalued a few celts, but didnt' let his Laker hatred affect his evaluation of some of their greats. My one gripe has to do with his assessment of Wilt Chamberlain. It's almost as if he felt that he had to tear Wilt down to elevate Russel.
its great toilet reading. seriously he copped gladwell in that sense, where you can just kind of open up the book and start reading. he's good but I'm waiting for the next wave of bill james kind of writing for bball. its coming, and there are already some already out. the, story's backed by analytical data (stat geek stuff) is where you get the true fanaticism out. but the book's back stories and history is the true gems. that stuff is priceless. like the quotes and stories from wild getting blown during a flight.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

he's good but I'm waiting for the next wave of bill james kind of writing for bball. its coming, and there are already some already out. the, story's backed by analytical data (stat geek stuff) is where you get the true fanaticism out.

That's so hard to do with basketball because so many of the simple stats are subjective or flawed. What constitutes an assist? Why does the guy who catches the deflection get the steal, and not the guy who deflected the ball. Add in the fact that blocks and steals are relatively modern statistica, and you'll fing that it's much harder to use advanced metrics to compare basketball players historically.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read the book over the Holidays and found it an enjoyable read. Like many, I'm over his love of the Celts to the detriment of other players. But his analysis is solid. Yeah, gladhands, his Wilt hate is without parallel. The refs essentially allowed teams to bludgeon the man, which doesn't override his poor foul shooting, but might explain his attitude. Appreciated his love of Maravich (even before the Celts) and Iverson. Recognizing greatness isn't always associated with a ring.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched the amount of tape or done the research that Simmons did, but my general perception of Russell was that of a super-Ben Wallace who could focus on defense and rebounding because he was his teams third or fourth scoring option.

Regardless of his importance, 2nd greatest player of all time seems like a bit of a stretch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads