• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hicks

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't believe I haven't seen this guy's standup until now. So so funny.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To crib from a review of Dr. Strangelove I like:

"He makes you cry till you laugh."

Riley Dee

Reaction score
+1

"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ******* high on drugs. The Beatles were so ******* high they let Ringo sing a few songs." - Bill Hicks

Zandros

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I can't believe I haven't seen this guy's standup until now. So so funny.

'Tis probably because you listen to the wrong kind of music.

/Adrian

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
There's a fairly well-known controversy about Dennis Leary stealing not only Hicks' act, but pretty much his persona and attitude. Quote from Bill to an interviewer: "I have a scoop for you. I stole his (Leary's) act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did".

Funny guy and gone too soon.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
There's a fairly well-known controversy about Dennis Leary stealing not only Hicks' act, but pretty much his persona and attitude. Quote from Bill to an interviewer: "I have a scoop for you. I stole his (Leary's) act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did".
An old joke on the subject: Why is Denis Leary famous? Because there's No cure for cancer. Huge fan of Bill's work. I've listened to "Rant in E-minor" way too many times. "I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs." "I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking." "Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!" "Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control. Here's Love Connection. Watch this and get fat and stupid. By the way, keep drinking beer, you ******* morons." - BHicks

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf

Funny guy and gone too soon.

Joe Rogan has been beating that drum for years. Allegedly Robin Williams is also a huge ripoff artist

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think of Bill Hicks less as a comedian and more as a philosopher-teacher in the vein of the Zen master who would try to shake his students out of complacency into enlightenment by saying things like "the Buddha is dried shitstick."

His bit about life being a ride actually makes me a little misty every time I watch it. Very, very few people have been able to look straight at the darkness in the world and not only laugh at it, but build a fire of compassion and love of life within it, all without becoming or self-righteous or phony.

Just about anybody could stand to learn something from Bill Hicks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads