1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Evans

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Apr 12, 2008.

1. juniper

juniper Senior member

...a serious alcoholic (i.e. drank every night).

You Americans crack me up, but I still love you.

2. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I love Bill Evans, but it's mainly his output up through the early sixties. After he got hooked on the smack I feel like Bill stagnated and just went through the motions for the rest of his career (basically everything after the LaFaro trio.) Bill Evans going through the motions is still music on a higher plane than all but a handful of jazz recordings, dont get me wrong. It makes you wonder what the man could have done if he were able to continue growing...

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

You Americans crack me up, but I still love you.
    lol. Gimme a break, I was drunk when I wrote it!

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I love Bill Evans, but it's mainly his output up through the early sixties. After he got hooked on the smack I feel like Bill stagnated and just went through the motions for the rest of his career (basically everything after the LaFaro trio.) Bill Evans going through the motions is still music on a higher plane than all but a handful of jazz recordings, dont get me wrong. It makes you wonder what the man could have done if he were able to continue growing...
    I think his last trio (LaBarbera and Johnson) was very much on par with the LaFaro trio.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bump. Just ran across this: Nardis live 1965

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. Vito

Vito Senior member

Conne: You might want to check out one of Bill's lesser-known and sadly overlooked albums: "Interplay", from 1960 or 1961. This is a quintet album featuring -- get this -- Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Jim Hall on guitar, and Philly Joe Jones on drums. It's a lot more energetic and varied than most of Bill's recordings. Something different, if you're not in the mood for Bill's usual trio sound.

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

The greatest.

My Foolish Heart from Waltz for Debby is, IMO, the greatest jazz piano performance/recording. Perfection. Bill Evans is a genius. No hyperbole.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Conne: You might want to check out one of Bill's lesser-known and sadly overlooked albums: "Interplay", from 1960 or 1961. This is a quintet album featuring -- get this -- Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Jim Hall on guitar, and Philly Joe Jones on drums. It's a lot more energetic and varied than most of Bill's recordings. Something different, if you're not in the mood for Bill's usual trio sound.
    I've heard tracks off of that album. Will have to download. Another overlooked gem is"Re: Person I Knew." One of his last studio albums IIRC
    The greatest. My Foolish Heart from Waltz for Debby is, IMO, the greatest jazz piano performance/recording. Perfection. Bill Evans is a genius. No hyperbole.
    I feel that way about a version of Who Can I Turn To from "The Last Waltz." Genius is an understatement, btw. For me only Oscar Peterson comes close for sheer joy attained from listening.

9. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Bill Evans is awesome. I was just listening to "Peace Piece" 5 minutes ago.

10. greekonomist

Another overlooked gem is"Re: Person I Knew." One of his last studio albums IIRC.

I think that's on Moonbeams, which was one of the first albums after LaFaro died.

11. greekonomist

Ever hear this story? [​IMG]

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

LOL, that is a great story.

I should note that Evans' final live recordings have a certain urgency/desperation to them, as if Evans knew (well, he did) that his death was near. Art Pepper's late concerts have this same quality. For me, they are more moving and brilliant than the studio tracks. Can't get enough.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

greekonomist, I'm just reminding you that you need to get the silk dupioni suit. Evans will sound even better while you're chillin' in silk.

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

one of my favorite albums also happens to be one of his last - you must believe in spring. it's something of a paean to loved ones he's lost: he dedicated original tracks to his brother harry and his ex-girlfriend elaine, both of whom committed suicide. evans allows himself to be sentimental here; it's like listening to liquid sorrow.

15. greekonomist

greekonomist, I'm just reminding you that you need to get the silk dupioni suit. Evans will sound even better while you're chillin' in silk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

jazzwax put up a good interview with laurie verchomin, bill's girlfriend the during final months of his life.

17. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

To be honest, even Art Pepper's final recordings (which, if you havent heard 'em, are boiling over with raw emotion) don't match up to Bill's final works: Consecration, The Last Waltz, Turn Out the Stars. This stuff is inhuman...you cant listent to it without feeling you heart sink. It is mesmerizing!

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Track down "Serenity," it's an important. Live performance in Paris in '72 I think. "Georgia's Step" swings really hard.

19. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm on a Bill kick again for the first time in months. The emotion is almost too much. Kind of crazy that such different tone and passion can be pulled from a single instrument by so many people. Bill, obviously, did it better than most.

20. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I've been listening to You Must Believe in Spring and the Paris Concert the last week or so.