• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biking Anyone?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've never seen a thread on the topic or road/mountainbikes so I thought I would start one. What do you ride? More importantly, where do you ride? Favourite trails?

When I was about 12-13 I started to seriously get into mountainbiking. I moved from a Costco bike to a Kona Kula with XTR, Bombers, and the like. In time I upgraded to a jet black Deep Cove Bike Shop G-Spot. It's a "Shore" set-up with a Z1 Bomber, Hayes discs, and a lot of Race Face parts (it's light for a Shore bike at 32-35lbs). Recently my riding buddy and I have been getting into road biking and racing. I got hooked when I found out I could climb steep hills with relative ease and then race down at 70kph+. My current road ride is a Rocky Mountain Race with some sweet Spinergy carbon fibre wheels (I got it for a song off a former racer who was having a baby).

I usually find myself riding around the Burnaby/Eagle mountain areas where I live in Vancouver. I love the North Shore and Whistler as well, although my favourite spot is Squamish and the Powerline trails. Any recommended spots? I've always wanted to take a trip to Northern California, any rec's?

A.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. cycling. when you refer to "road biking" please call it cycling.
laugh.gif
Sorry, I don't mean to get pedantic on you, it's just a pet peeve.
smile.gif

I used to be a pretty avid road cyclist, aka "roadie". I think it's an amazing sport. I've only ridden in LA: typically in the Malibu hills/mountains, but occasionally in the San Gabriel mountains/Sierra Madre area (I think that's what it's called, Angeles Crest?). If you ever come this way, I have plenty of recommendations for you.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Hey Guys,

I've never seen a thread on the topic or road/mountainbikes so I thought I would start one. What do you ride? More importantly, where do you ride? Favourite trails?

When I was about 12-13 I started to seriously get into mountainbiking. I moved from a Costco bike to a Kona Kula with XTR, Bombers, and the like. In time I upgraded to a jet black Deep Cove Bike Shop G-Spot. It's a "Shore" set-up with a Z1 Bomber, Hayes discs, and a lot of Race Face parts (it's light for a Shore bike at 32-35lbs). Recently my riding buddy and I have been getting into road biking and racing. I got hooked when I found out I could climb steep hills with relative ease and then race down at 70kph+. My current road ride is a Rocky Mountain Race with some sweet Spinergy carbon fibre wheels (I got it for a song off a former racer who was having a baby).

I usually find myself riding around the Burnaby/Eagle mountain areas where I live in Vancouver. I love the North Shore and Whistler as well, although my favourite spot is Squamish and the Powerline trails. Any recommended spots? I've always wanted to take a trip to Northern California, any rec's?

A.

I had 2 mountain bikes and I sold them when I went back to school. I miss them incredibly. I had a Proflex 959 and a Giant - don't remember the name.

The Proflex (company was bought out or no longer exists) was voted the ugliest mountain bike when it came out, was dark purple, and had a full suspension (suspension on front and rear). I bought it used. I hated the full suspension. The front was great but the back suspension always bounced and caused the rear wheel to spin when I was trying to pedal. I used that bike for serious trails. The Giant was a hybrid and I rode that on the road or in local parks.

That was many years ago and since then I have priced bikes and they are so incredibly expensive!! The components are very different today than they were several years ago.

I live in Pa. and Blue Marsh trails are well known (from what I understand) across the country. They are great trails. Haven't been there in a couple of years.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
lol. cycling. when you refer to "road biking" please call it cycling.
laugh.gif
Sorry, I don't mean to get pedantic on you, it's just a pet peeve.
smile.gif

Oh you roadies, so uptight
wink.gif
I'm guessing you're going to whince when I tell you I wear baggie shorts...

If I ever plan a trip to the San Gabriel/Sierra Madres I'll be sure to ask for rec's.

A.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently bought a Trek 6500 Disc, hardtail: it has a Devore XT derailleur in the rear and regular Devore derailleur in the front (the rear is pretty decent, the front not so…), and Shimano hydraulic disc breaks. The really crappy component is the Manitou Axel fork with only 80mm of travel (although it does have a lockout, so that’s an advantage against pedal bob), but it’ll do for now. I need to get the stock seat replaced, it is way too stiff, and I don’t wear bicycle shorts.

Jon.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I recently bought a Trek 6500 Disc, hardtail: it has a Devore XT derailleur in the rear and regular Devore derailleur in the front (the rear is pretty decent, the front not so...), and Shimano hydraulic disc breaks. The really crappy component is the Manitou Axel fork with only 80mm of travel (although it does have a lockout, so that's an advantage against pedal bob), but it'll do for now. I need to get the stock seat replaced, it is way too stiff, and I don't wear bicycle shorts.

Jon.

Don't worry about your Deore stuff, especially a front derailer (sp?) which has a simple design and function. My Deore front shifter has endured several years of very hard riding without fail. The important question is what kind of hubs/rims/tires are you running? I find most bike manufacturers skimp on components that really effect the riding experience (like wheels and tires) so they can put on a higher end rear derailer.

For Godsake's man get some padded biking shorts! I can't even fathom riding without them.

A.

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
I've got a 5 year old Litespeed Tuscany (pre-integrated headset) with Campy Chorus-10.

I only ride road around here in Atlanta, and only during non-rush hour, since the drivers here are dangerous!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Don't worry about your Deore stuff, especially a front derailer (sp?) which has a simple design and function. My Deore front shifter has endured several years of very hard riding without fail. The important question is what kind of hubs/rims/tires are you running? I find most bike manufacturers skimp on components that really effect the riding experience (like wheels and tires) so they can put on a higher end rear derailer.

For Godsake's man get some padded biking shorts! I can't even fathom riding without them.

A.

I rather have a padded seat and wear regular shorts. All the bikes' components are currently stock.

Jon.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't get a padded saddle, you'll get used to it, with or without padded shorts. if anything, swap it for a saddle that's equally "hard" but is more comfortable. in the long run, you're not going to want to sit on a sponge.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
don't get a padded saddle, you'll get used to it, with or without padded shorts. if anything, swap it for a saddle that's equally "hard" but is more comfortable. in the long run, you're not going to want to sit on a sponge.

Well, I don't want a gel seat, simply a softer seat. The standard seat is really hard and after only 30 minutes ****** is sore.

Jon.

ATM

Reaction score
Well, I don't want a gel seat, simply a softer seat. The standard seat is really hard and after only 30 minutes ****** is sore.

Jon.

It might be the shape of the saddle and not the softness that is causing the pain. If you haven't already, read this.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Trek 6700 that I bought a few years back. I haven't ridden in ages though, unfortunately.

I first started riding a mt bike in college at the UW in Seattle. I learned what I dubbed "urban-biking". Rather than dodging trees, etc, you learned to dodge cars, parking meters, and peds.

Where I live now simply has a dearth of trails. The Eastern Shore of Md is flat, and I don't have the passion to get up early on Sat's and meet the local groups that go out to parks on the western shore. I miss riding. The closest I get now is spinning class at the gym.

bob

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather have a padded seat and wear regular shorts. All the bikes' components are currently stock.

Jon.

What's with the aversion to padded shorts? My road bike has a hard, but extremely well shaped seat (oh man how that could be taken out of context quickly...). If I didn't wear padded shorts I don't think I'd be able to continue my family's lineage.

Garfieldthecat, I love Litespeeds! The workmanship is amazing. At one point in my life I would like to own a custom made Litespeed or Seven.

A.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not married to the idea of padded shorts. They're more comfy on very long rides, but on a day-to-day basis (riding to class, running quick errands, or what have you), unpadded, regular clothing is fine. Some bicycle messengers ride all day long without padded shorts; then again, they probably do a lot of things I wouldn't necessarily advise...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics