Biker jackets if you don't ride ... poseur?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Style_Deficit, Dec 25, 2007.

1. CDC

CDC Senior member

^ As much as some might like to subscribe to the fallacy that fashion is strictly for our own eyes, it's pretty daft to suggest that we don't care about how were perceived - you're telling me we've all signed up on an internet site to talk about what we look like but harbor no interest in how we are perceived? Well, you might be able to wear a horsehide A2 and not be a fighter pilot, but If you're wearing a authentically decorated jacket or you're joining the A2 with a pair of aviators and some Corcorans - you will get Top Gun comments. I think it can absolutely look tacky, wearing a legit MC jacket when not riding. It really depends not only on the jacket, but on what you have paired with it. If you've got a padded, belted, traditional-cut jacket; that can be very risky - but then not quite as risky if it's got a lot of natural wear - it is largely about context. Also, avoid the harness or engineer boots and the leather gloves, if you're going with the MC jacket that day.

2. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

Perhaps a MC jacket in a non-leather fabric might be a good idea? They seem to be offering these here and there. It would be a fashion piece, but then the whole point is being stylish rather than biking.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Just get a bike, problem solved.

Barring that, avoid the type with real armor, or lots of zippers.

No motorcyclist is going to mistake your BR jacket for trying to pretend like you ride, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a style of jacket, no big deal.

4. roguetheory

roguetheory Senior member

5. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Also avoid the harness or engineer boots and the leather gloves, if you're going with the MC jacket that day.

And don't forgt to shave the handlebar mustache unless you want to be mistaken for a completely different kind of 'rider'.

6. FormulaQ

FormulaQ Senior member

No way, i think biker/riding jackets are really cool, and it's not at all posing.

7. andrew.cmyk

andrew.cmyk Senior member

Just get a bike, problem solved.

Barring that, avoid the type with real armor, or lots of zippers.

No motorcyclist is going to mistake your BR jacket for trying to pretend like you ride, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a style of jacket, no big deal.

So true. I find the plain leather moto jackets very nice looking. The thought of "where did this guy get that jacket" will cross my mind way before "I wonder if this guy rides". The only time I'd think the latter is if you're wearing something with huge logos and zippers on it or god forbid... body armor. Of course, nothing with those characteristics will be stylish in casual wear.

8. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

So true. I find the plain leather moto jackets very nice looking. The thought of "where did this guy get that jacket" will cross my mind way before "I wonder if this guy rides". The only time I'd think the latter is if you're wearing something with huge logos and zippers on it or god forbid... body armor. Of course, nothing with those characteristics will be stylish in casual wear.

Unless your a biker. Because I am a biker as well as fashion minded and if I see a guy with a biker jacket my first thought is, does this guy ride? But I dont fill up with rage if I find out he doesn't lol. I just hate when I go to popular bike spots and see a dude trying to get girls with his biker jacket pretending he rides.

9. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Well there are some armored jackets that aren't too bad style-wise ... Vanson Comet (I don't own that particular jacket, but I think it looks neat) All of my motorcycle jackets are armor-compatible. I have both hard and soft armor. If I wasn't riding around I would not use them with the armor in place. Come to think of it, a lot of motorcyclists don't wear armor. I find this is more prevalent with the "I ride a cruiser 100 miles per year, usually between bars" type of rider. (I am a cruiser guy, btw.) So mebbe if I see a guy with armor in his jacket at least I know he's got some common sense. [​IMG]

10. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Well there are some armored jackets that aren't too bad style-wise ...

Vanson Comet

(I don't own that particular jacket, but I think it looks neat)

All of my motorcycle jackets are armor-compatible. I have both hard and soft armor. If I wasn't riding around I would not use them with the armor in place.

Come to think of it, a lot of motorcyclists don't wear armor. I find this is more prevalent with the "I ride a cruiser 100 miles per year, usually between bars" type of rider. (I am a cruiser guy, btw.) So mebbe if I see a guy with armor in his jacket at least I know he's got some common sense. [​IMG]

I own the Comet; very nice jacket and still not broken in after over a year of moderate wear. Mine has no armor.

11. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

So, is it OK to wear a biker jacket if you aint a biker, or is it just totally not cool?

Most of the "bikers" around me don't wear jackets, let alone helmets. When I owned a Hardley Ableson, none of the other Harley riders would wave at me when I was wearing full gear, including armoured gloves and pants lol.

The riding gear that I see mostly on bikes, especially cruisers, are wife beaters, stonewashed jeans, and work boots. The sport bike squids go with shorts and sandals.

I'll wear a biker jacket on or off the bike whenever I want, and if anyone asks me what bike I ride, I'll give them the most archaic bike model I can think of just to fuck with them. [​IMG]

12. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

And don't forgt to shave the handlebar mustache unless you want to be mistaken for a completely different kind of 'rider'.

Ah, you are thinking the Folsom street fair kind of biker. [​IMG]

13. andrew.cmyk

andrew.cmyk Senior member

The chest pockets on the Vanson Comet really bother me. It doesn't seem functional at all... and if you DO use those pockets, it's like you have tits. I really hate silver zippers too. But as a minimalist, i enjoy the style of the Shift 967 and Primer jackets. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have the AZ which has the same type of chest pocket as the Comet and it's absurd - you can't even get your hand in there and the zipper is so sharp I don't want to try. Pretty useless. I'd much rather have a chest "gun pocket" like this repro Buco Rider:

[​IMG]

Although if I bought one I might have it made so the pocket opens to the inside for actual gun use without printing.

15. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member