• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bike style - how to look chic while on two wheels

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
I'm a former bicycle commuter - in my experience it's more about comfort and safety than it is about looks. The lack of the infrastructure and (generally speaking) a culture supportive of two-wheeled commuting in the States makes it difficult. Staying visible, dry, cool/warm, and safe were far greater priorities than looking like one of the Italians on the Sartorialist.

That said, the brands that I have had some success with are those like Swobo, who offers wool and cotton jerseys and bottoms. They are usually in colors that are a bit easier to work with, and don't make you look like a tri-athlete. Also, you might think you look like a tool, but wear your helmet. It will save your life.

The knickers in a previous post are actually really awesome - wish they were available when I was riding to work.

cbsteven

Reaction score
Primal Wear makes a jersey designed to look like a tux:
JT3878.jpg

But.. no peak lapel!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t bike for commuting purposes, so when I ride my bike I’m always wearing bike shorts and a jersey. That, and cleats, which aren’t very stylish, but by god do they get the job done!

Also, after going 30+ miles in SoFLA in the summer, one is so sweaty that any nicer clothes would be utterly ruined with B.O. (think Seinfeld’s BMW).

Jon.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
bikeguysg5.jpg

trying way too hard.

Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Only women wearing dresses/skirts on bicycles can look chic.

Thanks to The Sartorialist 6-4-2006
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

many of you have likely noticed the trend of young women riding bicycles around in dresses. this has been going on in l.a. for some time now, but i've recently noticed a new trend: women riding bicycles while wearing high heels. i don't know if this was in a movie or how this got started, but the last couple of months i've seen a ton of women doing this.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Fascinating topic. I don't commute on a bike, just use one for excercise, so I'm not really dressing for any kind of style. Although I do like the European sensibilities when it comes to this subject, I see bicycling on the street much the same way I look at motorcycling...safety first. Saying that, I don't wear a helmet on a bicycle, but my speeds aren't really up there and I stay off of most busy roads. If I did have to commute, I would try to be somewhat fashionable. However, I do sweat quite a bit when I ride so I'm not sure what I would do. Any fashionable "wickaway"? =)

lightsky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
trying way too hard.

many of you have likely noticed the trend of young women riding bicycles around in dresses. this has been going on in l.a. for some time now, but i've recently noticed a new trend: women riding bicycles while wearing high heels. i don't know if this was in a movie or how this got started, but the last couple of months i've seen a ton of women doing this.

i saw a woman in a bright yellow dress walking a bright yellow bicycle. seems like the bike is the latest female fashion accessory. gotta admit, even walking, there is something very beguiling about a dress and a bike.

lightsky

Reaction score
as for what best to wear on a bike, i think it depends on what kind of bike you're riding. if it's a road bike, then you will look best wearing cycling gear, if not lycra shorts/tights and jersey, then a pair of touring shorts (look like hiking shorts, only a little longer) and a t-shirt or utility shirt. i've seen guys with suits on road bikes and it doesn't work because the suit looks awful when you're hunched over the handlebars.

it's a different story if you're riding a bike with upright bars, as in the picture above of the guy in the suit. then the tables are turned and you would look much better in the suit, and downright silly in spandex.

the mountain bike is a nice middle ground since the sitting posture lies between the two extremes. i can see someone wearing a suit on a mtn bike, and it might even be kind of hip since the mtn bike is still considered pretty cool (though i haven't been into bikes for a few years and may be wrong about this).

lightsky

Reaction score
check out a company called rivendell bicycles. they sell retro cycling gear, incl stuff made out of wool.

anecdote: before lycra was introduced in the early 80's, cyclists wore wool shorts and shirts, even in the middle of summer! i've done it too, and it isn't as uncomfortable as you might think since the fabric is thin and not tightly woven. you might also want to look at pictures of cyclists in the 1950's and 60's to see how you can dress like a cyclist w/o also looking like a moving billboard.

grilledcheese

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightsky
so they don't get caught between the chainwheel and chain.

This is not a mere incovenience when riding a fixed gear bike--this could potentially mean a broken leg/ankle. I love nice clothes in general, but bike clothes are bike clothes--I'd prefer to wear Rapha and Castelli over other cycling clothing brands. But you won't catch me wearing my Incotexes or Valentinis (or even my better denim) on my bikes--no way. It's simply not practical in any way, not to mention the fact that for many years I've trained myself to ride fast, so I'm certain I'd sweat through my Barbas and Lorenzinis in no time flat. This is a "trend"--and that's what it is--that I just don't get.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^What he said. Wearing a suit on a bike is asking for pain; I can't imagine getting anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Plus, it reeks of poserdom. Check out the cellphone.
crackup[1].gif

Me, I just keep my color palette subdued... Rolled up linen pants or jeans, a white shirt, lightweight jacket, etc. Those pics that culverwood posted are pretty much perfect. I haven't heard of Rapha, I'll check that out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads